• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Question About Food

It seems to me that it is well known that the first foods of a dwarf cuttlefish hatchling should be mysid shrimp and amphipods, followed by frozen mysids if you desire, and then onto shore shrimp.
My current hatchlings (my oldest being just about 50 days olds, the yougest just hit the one month mark) have been eating live shore shrimp for at least 20 days now. I have unlimited supply of shore shrimp seeing that I catch my own (having the joy of living on the coast) but having to go catch more shimp twice a week is starting to become a hassle. At this point in there life, at the size of about 1-1 1/2 inches, what would be an appropriate frozen food to train them on. It is my thinking that frozen mysids would be too small to be worth the effort. Is there a comercial product of frozen shore shrimp or similarly sized feed of quality nutrition availible ? My cuttles have never had frozen foods before, I never went through the trouble of weaning to frozen mysids, I just stuck with the live.

Buy frozen bait shrimp from a bait shop or marina. Or catch a bunch and freeze them yourself, or buy bunch of live ones and freeze them. Its what I do with my octopuses. also ask the baitshop marina or wherever what other live bait they have often they have perfect tiny crabs. I get these also for my my smaller octos I'm sure a large D.Cuttle would like them as well.

I held one of the shrimp in my hand and very slowly moved it toward the cuttle's tentacles. Very very slowly i got the tail of the shrimp to touch the cuttle's tentacles. The cuttle slowly started to explore the shrimp with its tentacles for a several seconds, then it viciuosly grabbed it and 'tried' to swim off with it once it realized it was a shrimp. I got 2 cuttles to eat out of my hand last night, the third one i was trying with wouldn't. But when I stopped trying to feed the third one it went after one of the other 2 and tried to steal their shrimp.

It may have been easier for me since i had them trained to eat frozen PE mysis back when they were smaller.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back