question about filters?

Rohman

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Im kind confused here and was wondering if someone can help me out. I purchased an emperor 400 for my 55gal soon to be octo tank, thinking it would be a great start to filtration. Well I went to search for a protein skimmer to see which one would be the best to buy and i came upon this article

"The best bio-filter for a freshwater aquarium is a filter with a BIO-Wheel. But BIO-Wheels are usually not used in Marine Aquariums, because the bacteria on the BIO-Wheels would quickly break down the large molecules, before they could be removed by the Protein Skimmer. "
site (http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/protein_skimmer.htm)

well what im wondering is, if this article is correct, what good would a protein skimmer do, if the bacteria are breaking down the proteins(large particles) before it can have a chance to do anything.
(Any commintary you have will be valued)

if i am wrong about any of this please let me know

I also would like to say , what a wonderful site this is, and that i appreciate all the forums that are here, they have been a huge help
(Ill try to take some pics of my tank tonight, so you know how im coming along)

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is a tad alarmist,

the skimmer, as long as it is a suitable size for your tank, will be more than capable of beating the filter to the waste.

Seems a strange thing to write in a review???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthSeaPugsNReefin

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak