Question About a Specific GPO Behavior

Severine

Cuttlefish
Supporter
Hello Tonmo,

I do apologize if this topic has already come up in another thread. Before I reach out the the aquaticinfo list serve, I thought I would ask other Cephalopod professionals their opinions prior to branching out.

I have worked with and provided care for Enteroctopus dofleini for several years now and have come to recognize a trend in behavior once the animal gets to a certain size.

I am noticing them swimming into the theming of the exhibit. It's not a jetting, but it is a deliberate swim. It starts off with maybe doing this behavior once every couple weeks, gaining intensity through senescence. Does anyone know what the cause might be? I have considered: stress, diet, water quality, and lack of enrichment and have tried to make adjustments where needed. It doesn't seem to be selective to a certain gender. But it eventually does cause a break in the mantle skin and that wound constantly gets bigger over time. Which leads me to my next question.

How does one treat a mantle wound such as this? I am told there is nothing I can do about it, but given how long GPOs have been in public aquaria I find it difficult that no one has at least attempted to research treatments for injuries like this. I find that doing nothing feels like I am letting this animal, and potentially future animals, down.

Thanks for all of your time,

Best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AquariumDepot

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean