• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Pygmy Tank ?s

The FAO guide claims that O. mercatoris "occurs in shallow water on sandy, coral and rubble bottoms to depths of about 80 m." I'm not sure where the reference to O. joubini's typical depth that I'm thinking of was... maybe in a comment by Roy?

The FAO guide claims that O. mercatoris "occurs in shallow water on sandy, coral and rubble bottoms to depths of about 80 m."

I'd go for 8 meters but we're talking a different species at 260 feet :sagrin: (you made me look it up since I still can't make the approximation in my head :old:). Norman says 10 meters is most typical for Joubini (32' or one pressure depth for anyone else that his metrically challenged). And from what I know of the Mercs 10'-15' is typical. 32' is a shallow tank dive but I think most of the Mercs are "by catch" in cultured LR and I am not sure of the depth of most farms.

It would be ok to put in a urchin. I have a urchin and I feed it a silver side tail if the eel doesn't finish dinner. You can put in a pepperment shrimp. If you're octopus is well fed then the shrimp might last a month. This is if you have enough rocks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back