• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Pygmy Octo?

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

O. joubini is also known as the Small-egg Caribbean Pygmy Octopus. It's mantle is a little under 2 inches long as an adult, with arms to about 3 1/2 inches. In the ocean, it lives on a sandy or mud bottom at less than 30 ft.

The requirements for this little octopus are much the same as for the bimac - a 30 gallon tank would provide a good home. A tank temp of 77 or 78 would be fine.

There are a couple of problems with it - first, they can be reclusive and you may see very little of your octo. Then, the LFSs have a bad record of delivering the species of octo you order. You may not get a joubini, in fact you could get a much larger octopus. And finally, if you do get the pygmy you ordered, it has a short life span, only 6 months.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thank you for the info! I have tried looking on-line but nobody has the information I need. I knew that they didn't live very long but wasn't sure if that was true or not. By the way, do you of any place that sells this type of octo?

There was a post on the Ceph Care forums a month or two concerning where you could get briareus - I believe one of these online sources also offered joubini. You might search for briareus.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back