pygmy octo

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by arcprolife, Jan 18, 2009.

1. arcprolife

arcprolife Larval Mass Registered

My LFS has a pygmy octo about the size of a nickel. They have him in a critter keeper in the tank. I often read how big something gets but its not until you see it in person you realize wow thats small. Will it get much bigger and would keeping it in a large size critter keeper work for keeping it from getting out of my main tank.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Yes, that will work. I kept an O. mercatoris in a large critter keeper inside my 75 gallon.

3. arcprolife

arcprolife Larval Mass Registered

did you cover the slits with anything extra-the guy at the LFS said he had gotten out a few times and visited a few tanks. Its amazing how they fit out of that thin little slit. Its why I am concerned I would have a hard time keeping him locked in a 30 gallon. Atleast the critter keeper gives me a little more control.

4. pool2004

pool2004 Pygmy Octopus Registered

nice! get him! post some pics if you can...

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

I put the top inside of some panty hose, cut the extra length off, then popped it on. You may need to direct a powerhead onto the lid to make the water flow inside better, the panty hose can be a bit restrictive to the current.

6. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

ya you can set him in a smaller aquarium in the large aquarium for a little while until he gets bigger. Make sure all the cracks are sealed.