"pygmy" bimac?

Mikewise

GPO
Registered
I spoke to my contact at the LFS today who was checking with their wholesaler for a bimac.

When we spoke early in the week he was quick to assume i was looking for a bimaculatus, so i spelled it out for him (B-I-M-A-C-U-L-O-I-D-E-S) and today told me that "that is a pygmy species... about 7 inches."

This isn't consistant with what I've read here... are there dwarf bimacs? I wouldnt mind that if it is the same amiable, diurnal species we all know and love... but this seems off. perhaps it's just a juvenile.

He went ahead and ordered it already so I will hopefully be going to check it out tomorrow evening and i'll see if it has the characteristic blue eye-spots. I'll be sure to bring a camera and hopefully i can post pictures tomorrow night for a proper ID.

I just wanted to know if what this guy is telling me is even possible; a "pygmy" o.bimaculoides??

they threw some chunks of live rock in the keeper with him (not visible in the photos), but nothing particularly cave-like to hide in. they were feeding him fish too. not good. i politely suggested that they switch to small crustaceans.

I'll make a posting in "octopus availability" and maybe someone in the mass-area will be interested.

Upvote 0
mikewise are you selling him? my LFS couldnt get a octopus a week ago and didnt have one on his list this week iether, im still looking for an octopus and live in Hampstead New Hampshire, its about 20 mins from boston mass and i got my uncle who lives in danvers mass

Upvote 0
The pose and coloring (deep maroonish -vs brown or tan - with white underside when unhappy) and the star like striping on the eye with a thick, distinct socket and no visible sucker enlargement all suggest adult female Mercatoris but I don't know anything about the similarity of Mercs to the young of other octos (definitely not a baby Merc as at 2.5 months the mantle is eraser sized but it could be an immature male). The inactivity could be just age and circumstance but my immediate thought was a Merc (compare with my avitar).

Upvote 0
I'd rather not ship her if i don't have to. it just arrived there from the LFS's dealer a few days ago and seems really stressed out. I also don't know the first thing about packing up a ceph for shipping. anyone close enough to go buy it themselves?

Upvote 0
SniperX8;109196 said:
email me at [email protected] or reply to the post

Sniper, I didn't end up purchasing it because it's not what i ordered.

If you're in the boston area you could definitely go buy the merc yourself though. Tropical Isle is in Framingham, MA off of route 9 (4 Pierce ave, i believe).

If nobody's able to give her a good home i'd be willing to buy and ship her to someone who covers the expenses, but as i said, i dont know the first thing about going about that.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back