Pygmy Atlantic Octopus care

B_Walsh

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys think it would be possible for me to add a 1 3/4 inch painted angler to my octo tank? I’ve been avoiding adding fish to the tank because I don’t want them to harass my octopus and I don’t want them to be a snack. I was thinking an angler might be a good solution to that. They’re too slow moving to harass the octopus, and (hopefully) threatening enough for the octopus to leave them alone. The only thing is they aren’t exactly cheap, so I don’t want it to be a very expensive snack. What do you guys think?
Unfortunately, it would be stressful on both parties in the tank. Not to mention an expensive risk. Maybe set up a separate tank with your angler friend?

Hannahhhh

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on interacting with an octopus? Namely how to interact without terrifying it. Mine spends most of his time hiding, should I wait to interact until he chooses to come out? Is it better to interact at night? With the lights on? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

B_Walsh

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on interacting with an octopus? Namely how to interact without terrifying it. Mine spends most of his time hiding, should I wait to interact until he chooses to come out? Is it better to interact at night? With the lights on? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is this for feeding, or just a general interaction? If feeding, only interact for a brief period to offer food when they are alert during daylight hours as your octo has appeared stressed/disinterested in feeds previously. If this is for "playtime," I would wait to see if your octo gains confidence in their space before attempting to interact with him. Definitely stick to when the lights are on (I certainly would not appreciate someone coming into my bedroom at night when I'm relaxing.) And remember that your octo may not enjoy interaction so if they appear intimidated or scared (making themselves look "bumpy," dark coloration, inking), it's best to leave them be and admire from outside the tank.

Hannahhhh

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is this for feeding, or just a general interaction? If feeding, only interact for a brief period to offer food when they are alert during daylight hours as your octo has appeared stressed/disinterested in feeds previously. If this is for "playtime," I would wait to see if your octo gains confidence in their space before attempting to interact with him. Definitely stick to when the lights are on (I certainly would not appreciate someone coming into my bedroom at night when I'm relaxing.) And remember that your octo may not enjoy interaction so if they appear intimidated or scared (making themselves look "bumpy," dark coloration, inking), it's best to leave them be and admire from outside the tank.
If he’s nocturnal do you think he would be happier playing interacting at night?

Hannahhhh

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
d

Oh yes, if your octo is nocturnal, it may be better to interact at night.
I tried, he had zero interest in interacting. He saw my hand go in and took off. I’ll give him some space and try again in a week or two.

I have a question for you guys. I’m thinking of setting up a larger tank for a bimac at some point. If I buy a used tank, do I need to be concerned about the tank’s history? Namely, if the tank has ever been treated with copper or other things bad for an octopus, will that tank be ruined forever? Or is it ok if I just clean it very well.

B_Walsh

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I’m thinking of setting up a larger tank for a bimac at some point. If I buy a used tank, do I need to be concerned about the tank’s history? Namely, if the tank has ever been treated with copper or other things bad for an octopus, will that tank be ruined forever? Or is it ok if I just clean it very well.

Definitely clean it thoroughly, as you said. Once cleaned, I wouldn't worry so much about previous medication treatments. My biggest worry with old tanks is exactly how old is it? If glass, are the seams in good condition? Glass tanks that once held water and were emptied and left in a basement for years are worrisome as the seams can become brittle and lead to leaks. Have there been any previous issues with the tank (leaks, etc)? So long as you do your due diligence, a recycled tank should work out for a bimac.

pkilian

O. bimaculoides
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried, he had zero interest in interacting. He saw my hand go in and took off. I’ll give him some space and try again in a week or two.

Another way to test if the tank is leeching copper into the water is to set the tank up with salt water as you would normally mix it, and then add some Cuprisorb in a filter media bag and let the tank run for a few days. Cuprisorb turns blue/green when it interacts with copper, and that should tell you if you have any copper in the water or not. If you cycle the tank for a few days and the Cuprisorb doesn't change color, then you should be good to go.

Hannahhhh

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
So unfortunately this afternoon I found the octopus dead. I tested alk, salinity, and a few other parameters and all were normal and unchanged. I suppose it’s possible that I didn’t do anything wrong, but I still feel pretty guilty. I would like to have another octopus but I’m thinking I might prefer to set up a larger tank so that I can go with a longer lived species. Is there anyway for me to confirm if he died of age or if it was something I caused?

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
platypus101

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak