• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

pumice rock

robind

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I was buying sand and gravel for my aquariums the other day (play sand and 'coral sea') and they had some cool rocks they called 'featherlight'. Pretty sure it's some kinda igneous, likely pumice. So I filled my bathtub with water and vinegar, and the rocks have been floating in there for close to a day now. I'm worried they aren't going to sink. In the case they don't I plan on using them with some mortar to make a 'new' rock that hopefully doesn't float.

So I'd like to put this in the display, as they are rather pretty rocks, but they have a somewhat abrasive texture to them, so I may just put them in the sump. Am I being over protective?

If you ever plan on keeping an octopus, avoid abrasive rocks or sharp rocks that could damage their soft skin.

Although this type of rock is sold at aquarium stores, few people use it in saltwater aquariums.

Maybe someone else who knows more about this rock can comment.

Nancy

Indeed I do plan on keeping on octopus (hopefully a bimac) and this was my primary concern, aside from the buoyancy issue. I read here a suggestion to cover abrasive rocks with java moss. Obviously only applicable to freshwater...is there a similar saltwater plant that might be employed? Also the rock isn't any sharper or jagged-er than the liverock at my lfs, it's just...pumice-y, like I could clean my feet with it.

Feather rock is not safe for any aquarium. It contains pockets of gas and metals that will leech out if the rock is forced to submerge. It is used in pond building because you can cut it with a saw easily, and works well for the surrounding above water decorations.

corpusse: because I don't want to spend $300 on rock.

cthulhu: can you give me any more information on this? I was under the impression that most volcanic rocks are aquarium safe.

No, most volcanic rocks are incredibly unsafe in the aquarium.

Feather rock is one of the worst rocks, next to a copper laden chunk, that you could put into a tank.

Even what they call "base rock" is unstable. It is better to use cultured live rock, even though the cost is higher.

Is this invert-specific advice, or would you say this for any marine (fw?) aquarium? I ask, because there are countless sources on the internet that say "volcanic rock is aquarium safe". Why would so many people believe this (and post it on the Internet) if it is as bad as you say it is?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back