Pulpopus - A. aculeatus

RoFlores

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I got this guy from my LFS. I ordered it on saturday and it came today !!! All they could tell me is that is not a blue ring and that it comes from somewhere around central Pacific. It's body is about grape size and the arms are about 4" to 5" long. It's been active since we got it in the tank and has been looking around trying to hunt amphipods (it does the umbrella thing on a rock) and a hermit (he managed to stay alive). I think it might be an abdopus Aculeatus. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Ro

Attachments

• conv_304310.jpg
    conv_304310.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_304311.jpg
    conv_304311.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 120
  • conv_304312.jpg
    conv_304312.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_304313.jpg
    conv_304313.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 146
Second vote for A. aculeatus

To find journals by species, look at the top of the Journals and Photos forum for the List of Our Octopuses 20xx stickies. The species name is a link to the journals for 2008-2010.

Please considering journaling your adventure and continuing the posts. I can move this to our Journals forum if you would like :biggrin2:

I think the arms are a bit longer than I thought earlier, I think they might be 7" or even 8" long, the mantle is about 2.5 cm. I'll upload a vid here in a minute of it (I think it's a girl) eating a shrimp. I was hoping it was not an aculeatus, because if it is, it would be full grown and possibly on it's last leg (or arm).

Here are todays pics... she has been comming out more in the evening now, not so much during the day. It ate 2 shrimp from my hand and tries to eat the hermits with no luck.

We gave her a buddy (star fish) she had to go and make sure it knew who was boss, then she left it alone.

Attachments

• conv_297114.jpg
    conv_297114.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 105
  • conv_297113.jpg
    conv_297113.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • conv_297112.jpg
    conv_297112.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 110
  • conv_297111.jpg
    conv_297111.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
It will be interesting to see if your orange brittle behaves similar to Pesky and PeskyToo. Neither roams far from the octopus and will take up residence nearby when the octo changes dens. Ours know octo feeding time (depending on the octopus in residence this may or may not cooincide with tank feeding time) and are ever ready to take anything the octopus rejects, misses or drops. Ours will take food from our fingers.

Oddly when there is no octopus in residence, we never see them and the one in our non-octotank has probably only been spotted a couple of time over the course of several years (I am not sure if he is still alive). As soon as a new animal is placed in the tank, they are once again easy to find.

The octo probably won't go through to the sump as long as you have a nice dark alternate for a den but if he should go missing, check their first. The brittle, however, may choose to hang out there on occassion and it looks really weird to see orange arms waving from the holes.

Todays pics

I keep looking for the modified arm. He/She has not eaten in the last 2 days, she ate some hermits 3 and 4 days ago. Pulpopus comes out during the day, when I sit on my chair next to the tank. I think it hears my voice and comes to see what's up. If I stick my hand in the tank it takes it a while but eventually comes to investigate and touches me usually with only 1 arm at a time.

Attachments

• conv_297160.jpg
    conv_297160.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_297161.jpg
    conv_297161.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
  • conv_297162.jpg
    conv_297162.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 133
  • conv_297163.jpg
    conv_297163.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 116
Nice shots.
I'm staying with my male guess. That pic you look shows the ligula perfectly. I keep meaning to post it in our "sexing an octopus" thread but I keep forgetting. I'll do it now.

My brother in law has a fem A. aculeatus. She laid a clutch a few days after he got her but then she abandoned them and started eating again. Has any one had success breeding and raising A. aculeatus? The major issue is that if they breed and she lays a clutch then she would die, right? He works for SA, so he has access to foods and stuff that might help raise the babies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back