Pulpopus - A. aculeatus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by RoFlores, Oct 12, 2010.

1. RoFlores

RoFlores Blue Ring Registered

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I got this guy from my LFS. I ordered it on saturday and it came today !!! All they could tell me is that is not a blue ring and that it comes from somewhere around central Pacific. It's body is about grape size and the arms are about 4" to 5" long. It's been active since we got it in the tank and has been looking around trying to hunt amphipods (it does the umbrella thing on a rock) and a hermit (he managed to stay alive). I think it might be an abdopus Aculeatus. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Ro

Attached Files:

2. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Second vote for A. aculeatus

To find journals by species, look at the top of the Journals and Photos forum for the List of Our Octopuses 20xx stickies. The species name is a link to the journals for 2008-2010.

Please considering journaling your adventure and continuing the posts. I can move this to our Journals forum if you would like :grin:

4. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: to you and your Aculeatus.

Oh yeah and most people don't know but Octopuses actually have arms not tentacles.

5. RoFlores

I think the arms are a bit longer than I thought earlier, I think they might be 7" or even 8" long, the mantle is about 2.5 cm. I'll upload a vid here in a minute of it (I think it's a girl) eating a shrimp. I was hoping it was not an aculeatus, because if it is, it would be full grown and possibly on it's last leg (or arm).

6. CaptFish

He still seems like he has a little to grow, although full grown is a mantle of 3cm (just under an 1 1/4") and arms of 18cm (~7 inches)

7. RoFlores

Here are todays pics... she has been comming out more in the evening now, not so much during the day. It ate 2 shrimp from my hand and tries to eat the hermits with no luck.

We gave her a buddy (star fish) she had to go and make sure it knew who was boss, then she left it alone.

Attached Files:

8. DWhatley

It will be interesting to see if your orange brittle behaves similar to Pesky and PeskyToo. Neither roams far from the octopus and will take up residence nearby when the octo changes dens. Ours know octo feeding time (depending on the octopus in residence this may or may not cooincide with tank feeding time) and are ever ready to take anything the octopus rejects, misses or drops. Ours will take food from our fingers.

Oddly when there is no octopus in residence, we never see them and the one in our non-octotank has probably only been spotted a couple of time over the course of several years (I am not sure if he is still alive). As soon as a new animal is placed in the tank, they are once again easy to find.

The octo probably won't go through to the sump as long as you have a nice dark alternate for a den but if he should go missing, check their first. The brittle, however, may choose to hang out there on occassion and it looks really weird to see orange arms waving from the holes.

9. RoFlores

So I guess we are all pretty sure it is A. aculeatus?? her name is Lula. I did not see a modified arm so I assumed her to be a she.

10. CaptFish

I think its a male. You can see what looks to be the ligula

[​IMG]

11. RoFlores

Ok, I think I'll officially call it pulpopus.

12. kpage

kpage Wonderpus Supporter

Welcome Pulpopus!

13. RoFlores

Todays pics

I keep looking for the modified arm. He/She has not eaten in the last 2 days, she ate some hermits 3 and 4 days ago. Pulpopus comes out during the day, when I sit on my chair next to the tank. I think it hears my voice and comes to see what's up. If I stick my hand in the tank it takes it a while but eventually comes to investigate and touches me usually with only 1 arm at a time.

Attached Files:

14. CaptFish

Nice shots.
    I'm staying with my male guess. That pic you look shows the ligula perfectly. I keep meaning to post it in our "sexing an octopus" thread but I keep forgetting. I'll do it now.

15. RoFlores

My brother in law has a fem A. aculeatus. She laid a clutch a few days after he got her but then she abandoned them and started eating again. Has any one had success breeding and raising A. aculeatus? The major issue is that if they breed and she lays a clutch then she would die, right? He works for SA, so he has access to foods and stuff that might help raise the babies.

16. DWhatley

Roy has a lot of lab experience with A. aculeatus and not succeeded in raising the young (nor have any of our hobbiest members). I believe 21 days is the longest any hatchlings have survived and the most reported time has been about a week. I have seen three studies with minimal success rearing small egg vulgaris, joubini and a forgotten Alaskan species. I believe two of the three were reared in flow through sea water tanks but don't recall if the Texas study on joubini was a synthetic water environment. I do remember the Alaskan paper commenting on using a particular crab larvae as food and attributed that, at least in part, to their success. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost reference to the article.

TONMO members have had limited success with a few popular and aquarium safe large egg species. To the best of my recollection, members have raised O. mercatoris, O. chierchiae, O. bimaculoides and O. brieareus with O. bimaculoides having the largest number of surviving offspring.

17. RoFlores

So I'm back from South Carolina, brought some treats back for pulpopus. Some fiddlers and some ghost shrimp. Here are some new pics and 3 vids. I gave him his first fiddler yesterday and did not have my camera on hand, so I missed that one, he got it even before it hit the bottom and ate it all. It was really interesting how he would spit the shell and legs and stuff all on the same spot, away from his den.

Attached Files:

18. RoFlores

There, the second vid is available now, and the 3rd one is comming up.

19. RoFlores

Ok, here is an awsome video I shot tonight:

20. RoFlores

In the past few days, he has been actively hunting the ghost shrimp. He ignored them at first and ate all the hermits and snails, after that he was happy eating fiddler crabs. We have a limited supply of them so we stopped giving him those on a regular basis. So now he has been focusing his attention on the 10 or so ghost shrimp I put in his tank, it has been amazing to watching him ambush and catch them. Here is tonight's vid.