Psychedelic Pareledone

Discussion in 'Octopodidae' started by enrico, Feb 26, 2007.

1. enrico

enrico Cuttlefish Registered

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

That whole site is great, thanks for the link!

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

But what's psychedelic about that octopus?

Nancy

4. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

And what's new about it, aside from the stunning picture? :smile: From Mark Norman's guide:

Paraledone turqueti

Size: Body to 6cm, arms to 12cm.
    Dist: Western Antarctica.

This small octopus lives in the freezing waters around the entire continent of Antarctica (circumpolar) (Ed: hang on, didn't he just say it was Western Antarctica?), from shallow coastal waters to at least 4,000m deep.

It is recognised by the absence of a skin ridge round the body and the nearly smooth skin scattered with low granular bumps. Females produce large eggs which probably take a long time to mature in these sub-zero waters. The resulting large hatchlings would immediately adopt a bottom-living lifestyle.

5. enrico

enrico Cuttlefish Registered

I don't know what the journalist was thinking, but with this ceph's groovy colors and eight arms spread out in perfect symmetry as in the picture, I can easily see how people get associations to Hindu-inspired far-out hippie art and psychedelic mysticism (I often get a weird sacral feeling like that myself when looking at cephs) :yinyang: :rainbow: I'm sure you've seen the colorful depictions of old Vedic gods and goddesses with four, eight and even ten arms, right? I mean, compare the paraledone pic above with the cover of Hendrix's Axis Bold as Love and you'll see the connection.. :wink:

Certainly beats me.. I mean, they even included the proper Latin name in the picture caption so... In any case, I just thought it was a really neat picture! :wink:

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

It made this morning's news here in the sticks !

7. Toren

Toren Vampyroteuthis Supporter

So when was it discovered?

8. Phil

According to the excellent Tree of Life entry it was discovered in 1905, and indeed, a quick search reveals that it was described in that year by L. Joubin in his paper: Description de deux Eledons provenant de l'expedition du Dr. Charcot dans l'Antarctique. Memoires de la Societe Zoologique de France, 18. 22-31..

From the Tree of Life pages:

9. Phil