Protoconch

Hajar,
You get the coolest stuff, I always look forward to what you come up with even though I know nothing about the topic. By chance are you a museum curator?

Thank you for that! No, this is just a hobby sparked by picking up that Paleogene coleoid earlier in the year. I’ve been finding these other specimens on ebay (amazing what shows up there).

I just cleaned up the Sellanarcestes and took some more photos. Much more clearly seen now. The third photo is a stack of several images focussed at different depths (using CombineZP).

Attachments

• conv_295723.jpg
    conv_295723.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_295724.jpg
    conv_295724.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 102
  • conv_295725.jpg
    conv_295725.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 112
  • conv_295726.jpg
    conv_295726.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 125
Thanks Kevin! My daughter loaned me a sewing needle, which now just passes through that first whorl perforation.

Greetings Damien. Nothing special (I’m no expert). It’s a Sony alpha350 (so a decent high resolution), with the standard 18-70mm lens, mounted on a tripod and brought up close to the eyepiece of a microscope (Euromex). I set focus to infinity, do the focussing with the microscope and use a remote shutter release to take the photo. Combine ZP (http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZP/News.htm) is great for stacking a set of images focussed at different depths. I use it a lot for taking pictures of inclusions in amber (e.g. fotopic.net ; fotopic.net ).

Funny you should say that! Just yesterday I went into a shop (with my two young accomplices) to look at the gear for setting up a marine aquarium. After Christmas I think. We've seen some interesting cuttlefish (decorated with tubercles) in our local sea, but no octopus yet.

I just had a look up close at the little basal Triassic ammonoid shown in #11 here and found that it shows a clear protoconch.

Attachments

• conv_297733.jpg
    conv_297733.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 123
  • conv_297734.jpg
    conv_297734.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 109

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back