Project

amandatymms

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all

I am currently doing my 3rd year BSc project at university in Manchester in the UK, and have chosen to do a Final Year project on cephs. This is pretty difficult, as my uni is very much terrestrial based and so have no idea about cephs etc, but I am determined to do a project that will get me into this field :smile:

I am thinking of doing it comparing the number of photophores and the depth of the daytime habitat of a squid (I was thinking Histeoteuthis as they are known for their photophores). It would be a non-invasive study, purely counting the photophores on the specimens.

However, I have no practical help from my uni, and only have one person helping me via email otherwise (Thank you! )

Therefore, could I possibly pick the collective brain of this forum :smile:

I would like to know a good sample size for this kind of study. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any big sets of specimens in the UK other than the Natural History Museum in London, the Discovery Collection in Southampton University, and the Manchester Museum (which apparently has a few).

Also, does anyone know if I can get hold of any of the holotypes, as I have been told that mis-identification is not exactly unusual, so I would need to get the holotypes to be able to do the study properly.

Thank you :smile:

I assume you'll be looking at preserved specimens? Squid are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity! Depth range of most of the Histioteuthids is pretty deep (although I believe some are found as shallow as 4.5m). As for where to find holotypes, I'd check with the collection managers of the various museums and institutions you've mentioned (I don't know of other collections in the UK, I'm based in NZ!!!) Maybe you could try the British Antarctic Survey and Plymouth Marine Lab. As for numbers it will need to be as many as time and resources allow, this sounds like a non-answer I know, but I assume you have a time limit on your project, certainly the more the better, but you might be restricted by how many specimens actually exist and if the museums etc want to loan them to you!! Cheers Jean

I have decided to change my project to something more do-able in the time available. Thank you very much for the help and thoughts.

Unlikely as I am sure it is, if anyone needs a graduate who wants to go into ceph research in their team, just give me a shout :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back