• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Prices on octos

jamie604

Cuttlefish
Registered
Where i work, i can get octos fairly cheap.

bimac 5inch -> 39$ (canadian)
blue ring 3-4inch -> 29$ (canadian)

i would like some imput on prices other ppl payed for octos other then from octopets.com.

Well, you can always pick them up at nearest fishmarket for about 5 bucks a pound...just make sure to beat them well with a hammer (according to the eminent Sir Righty) prior to consumption.

greg

cthulhu77 said:
Well, you can always pick them up at nearest fishmarket for about 5 bucks a pound...just make sure to beat them well with a hammer (according to the eminent Sir Righty) prior to consumption.

greg

Was he talking about eating one? Im confused...but if he was, 5 bucks a POUND!? Wow...thats a lot compared to the Octopuses in my local fish market...here they only cost like 3 bucks a peice and they aren't small. I hate seeing them dead though, or battered and torn apart...cuz there such amazing animals.

Detritus said:
Jamie where in Canada are you? I am trying to find a supplier in Canada.

i get mine from Big Als Aquarium services. I happen to work there so i just ask the boss to order me one whenever i need it. or anything else for that matter

At tropical fish shops in my neck of the woods (Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley), I've seen the prices on octopus range from about $29.00 - $69.00. Most have been either pygmies (sold as "baby" octos) or have been our local "mudflat" octopus - the same variety found in the seafood section at Ralph's supermarket.

The staff generally know nothing about their charges, if they are a more exotic variety aren't sure how old they are, etc. When the time comes for a ceph, I'm sticking with people/companies that breed their own so I know the history and health of the individual animal.

Isn't the local mudflat octopus the bimac? Does Ralph's sell bimacs for the dinner table? This would be the first I've heard of this species being eaten in California.

Nancy

Will have to study up a little on my local octos, but I've noticed that the "mudflats" at the local fish shops had the twin blue spots on their webbing but were otherwise of a putty-to-light brown color. The octopus (generally curled up on themselves) in the fish department at the supermarket tended to be identical, but of salad plate size.

I live on the North end of Koreatown; an awful lot of octopus gets consumed around here (sometimes live, I'm sorry to say, though that isn't among the translated items on the menu). Not aware of any local octopus fisheries in SoCal, but most of the Mariscos stands and restaurants in my area all prominently feature pulpo as well, and they must be getting them fresh from somewhere. I'll have to inquire about their place of origin.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back