• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

pretty picture of Portobello Tank!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
After I turned out the foyer lights I noticed the tank light was still on and thought it looked pretty lovely! And thought I'd share.

Attachments

• conv_303612.jpg
    conv_303612.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • conv_303613.jpg
    conv_303613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
Thanks guys, we like it (until we have to clean it that is!) Yes that's kelp in there Bladder kelp (Giant Kelp to those from the US ) Macrocystis pyrifera, it's not live, we chop off the top 2 m of a plant (they grow from the base so no probs there) weight it and put in tank lasts about a fortnight in winter, a week in summer. We could grow it in the tank but it grows so fast it would soon take over!

J

The water temp is no different to here so haven't changed much though no harness is good. In fact we have a tube tank almost exactly like it except without the rockwork. I'm jumping in our ocean tank tomorrow nice and warm at 25 although a punishment have to wrestle our 170kg turtle!

Sounds like you could ride them around the aquarium!

I sent an e-mail to adelle ages ago about trying to get some stuff from you guys, as I told my boss about the southern pig fish and he wants to get some I miss some of the New Zealand species so would be cool if we could work something out.

And a pic of the crays (Jasus edwardsii), no. one, attempting to climb the glass, no 2 with Blue cod (Parapercis colias) and paddle crabs (Ovalipes catharus).

These are breeding stock, too big to be of commercial value (inedible) but essential for the health of the population. We will have them on display for 3 months, then return them to where they were caught.

J

Attachments

• conv_294315.jpg
    conv_294315.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_294316.jpg
    conv_294316.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
dwhatley;138786 said:
Jean,
There is an inedible cray/lobster? Why so?

Too large & old (>50cm head to tail, probably over 60 years old), the flesh would be tough and stringy, this species is normally the basis of a very large fishery, but these guys are so big that they don't even moult regularly (there are barnacles and tube worms growing on them!). These are the breeders and a number of the females are in berry.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back