preserving an octopus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Jon123, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Jon123

Jon123 Cuttlefish Registered

Has anyone ever preserved thir octopus in alcohol or formaldehyde? I know in my biology classroom there are 100's of jars of everything you could imagine, just wondering if anyone has their octopus in a jar on their mantle piece (no pun intended).

Jon

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

One of my first octopuses is sitting in a jar in formaldehyde from about 20 years ago. :shock: Preserved him well.

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

How big an octi????

I'd go for 95% ETOH (ethanol) or (if you can afford it!) Isopropylalcohol rather than formalin/formaldehyde. The later is extremely toxic. At the lab here we're in the process of changing all the formalin solutions to alcohol. Certainly for a large specimen you may need to fix it in formalin first (but then you need to get rid of the formalin.....does your school employ a chemical removal company?) and THEN store it in alcohol.

For a small octi (already dead :smile: ) we just place them in alcohol straight away, about 2x volume of alcohol to volume of animal. It seems to work just fine!

Cheers

Jean

5. Jon123

Jon123 Cuttlefish Registered

I was really jsut curious, but I would like to try it once mine is gone (maby 8 months). Its small right now obviously, but it will most likely be average bimac adult size when I try and preserve it. Thanks for the help, Ill take to my biology department as soon as I can to see if they have recommendations or help for me.

Jon

6. somosuno

somosuno Blue Ring Registered

formaldahide

I wouldnt use formaldahide since it is a carcinagin a cancer causing agent, and it is highly toxic. So your best bet is the alchohol.

7. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Did Steve not post somewhere a while back about how to preserve cephalopods? Try a search through the science section

8. a rabid squid

a rabid squid GPO Supporter

cuttle

I preserved my cuttlefish in rubbing alchohol i made a little thing for him and it looks really cool.