preserving an octopus

Jon123

Cuttlefish
Registered
Has anyone ever preserved thir octopus in alcohol or formaldehyde? I know in my biology classroom there are 100's of jars of everything you could imagine, just wondering if anyone has their octopus in a jar on their mantle piece (no pun intended).

Jon

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
One of my first octopuses is sitting in a jar in formaldehyde from about 20 years ago. :shock: Preserved him well.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
How big an octi????

I'd go for 95% ETOH (ethanol) or (if you can afford it!) Isopropylalcohol rather than formalin/formaldehyde. The later is extremely toxic. At the lab here we're in the process of changing all the formalin solutions to alcohol. Certainly for a large specimen you may need to fix it in formalin first (but then you need to get rid of the formalin.....does your school employ a chemical removal company?) and THEN store it in alcohol.

For a small octi (already dead :smile: ) we just place them in alcohol straight away, about 2x volume of alcohol to volume of animal. It seems to work just fine!

Cheers

Jean

Jon123

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was really jsut curious, but I would like to try it once mine is gone (maby 8 months). Its small right now obviously, but it will most likely be average bimac adult size when I try and preserve it. Thanks for the help, Ill take to my biology department as soon as I can to see if they have recommendations or help for me.

Jon

somosuno

Blue Ring
Registered
formaldahide

I wouldnt use formaldahide since it is a carcinagin a cancer causing agent, and it is highly toxic. So your best bet is the alchohol.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Did Steve not post somewhere a while back about how to preserve cephalopods? Try a search through the science section

a rabid squid

GPO
Supporter
cuttle

I preserved my cuttlefish in rubbing alchohol i made a little thing for him and it looks really cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mcorbell

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak