Preserved squid sculptures!

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Im making a series of preserved squids as sculptures...Heres my first one which was basically done to learn the best ways to preserve them. My future ones will have more artistic flare to them. This guy is 2 feet long!

What do you think?? Gross?? Cool??

Makes a good spooky nightlight :lol:

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Thanks for the comments!!! Im probably going to sell some soon. However, theres a lot to think about in how I would ship them to people since they are big and heavy. About 2 gallons of liquid to preserve some of these big guys!! Materials such as gthe glass and wood makes these guys not cheap to make. Then theres also the availaility of a good specimen.

I actually just made a cthulu head today....Ill post pics after it is fully preserved. Im trying to get a few ready for an art show in a couple months.. Hope I didnt gross anyone out!!

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
What do you use to preserve them? If you steep them in Formalin for a few days/weeks, and then drain and wash them you can just send the preserved animal in the glass tank and add a label "Just add water!" The formalin inside the cells already means that it'll be pretty much indesrtuctible.

Graeme

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Graeme said:
What do you use to preserve them? If you steep them in Formalin for a few days/weeks, and then drain and wash them you can just send the preserved animal in the glass tank and add a label "Just add water!" The formalin inside the cells already means that it'll be pretty much indesrtuctible.

Graeme
Nope! for good preservation you need to store it in some form of alcohol....usually ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (the latter being the best!).

Water is a universal solvent and will eventually destroy your specimen!

J

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Jean said:
Nope! for good preservation you need to store it in some form of alcohol....usually ethanol or isopropyl alcohol (the latter being the best!).

Water is a usiversal solvent and will eventually destroy your specimen!

J
No more long baths, I'm washing with ethanol from now on!

Melissa

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
um... said:
How about tequila? I'm going to have a nice new bar in my nice new basement in 2-3 months...
Well on my fourth year field trip we brought some specimens back for one of the academics........but as we hadn't planned to collect any specimens we had no preservative with us........so we went to the local hotel and bought a bottle of vodka (and one or two OTHER drinks at the bar :wink: ) which we used as a stop gap. But that's a very pricey way to preserve stuff!!!!!

J

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
I use an alcohol soultion for preservation...Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol hehe...

I recall hearing somewhere that a long time ago, if a crew member on a boat dies they often place the body in a barrel of wine or alcohol, so it doesnt start rotting on the boat during a long voyage...

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
Paradox said:
I use an alcohol soultion for preservation...Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol hehe...

I recall hearing somewhere that a long time ago, if a crew member on a boat dies they often place the body in a barrel of wine or alcohol, so it doesnt start rotting on the boat during a long voyage...
Adds new meaning to the idea of a rum-sotted sailor... :arr:

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Jean said:

Water is a universal solvent and will eventually destroy your specimen!

J
But after its soaked in formalin, will it not be practically indestructable??
That was my understanding of the stuff. Once you get that nasty stuff right through a specimen, it turns to the consistency of leather.

Graeme

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Graeme said:
But after its soaked in formalin, will it not be practically indestructable??
That was my understanding of the stuff. Once you get that nasty stuff right through a specimen, it turns to the consistency of leather.

Graeme

It's true that formalin does wonders for helping the specimen hold its shape for a very long time, but eventually (over a hundred years) can turn the specimen to mush. Some of the original specimens from the Voyage of the HMS Challenger were preserved in gin, which did a great job for a long time, but eventually alcohol (especially at high concentrations) makes specimens brittle. A combination of fixing in formalin and preserving in alcohol seems to be the best bet. If you fix in formalin and preserve in water, the specimen can mold.

Members online

No members online now.