Preserved Cephalopods

Hi Everyone

Instead of asking my usual "beaks and sucker rings" question, I thought I'd change it up! This time around, I am searching for preserved specimens of small cephalopods of any species (especially a blue-ring or perhaps a nautilus). Even hatchlings and eggs would be eagerly accepted! Ultimately, I'd like to have an octopus, cuttlefish, squid, and nautilus. Let me know if currently have any or can scrounge some up!

Thank You

What is your time frame and what will they be used for (display or disection)?. Do you have a preference on how they are preserved? I don't currently have a preserved animal but prefer that my wards be used for education when they die so if this is an on-going request, I may be able to preserve and send over time.

These would actually be for me to use when I volunteer at my local aquarium as a talking point for visitors. As for the preservation method, it doesn't make much of a difference to me; rubbing alcohol would be fine. Also, there is no set time period for them, so it will be an ongoing request. Any possible future specimens would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again

Great! Several of the octos I have kept are now used for educational display (Trapper, one of her children and one of her grandchildren as well as OhToo) and I would like to continue this practice for all of them over time. I soak them in formalin for a couple of days, rinse and then use 91% rubbing alcohol as a final preservative. This has worked well for the others. Please PM me with a mailing address (and an email so I can put you in my address book). For snooping protection use the word at and not the at sign.

I have actually checked at a fish market, but they only seem to have squid. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look into it, as I'm always searching for interesting specimens!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back