Present day belemnite analog

Phil1078

Blue Ring
Registered
I was thinking that Uroteuthis chinensis seems to look like what I picture a belemnite to look like. Any thoughts from the more squid savvy?

Edit: analog* excuse the typo I'm writing this on my phone.

Urrr... what draws you to the conclusion? In as far as you'd consider a dolphin a modern day analogy to an Ichthyosaurus?

(Basic body shape is slightly analog, as it is for many of the Loliginidae, but that's just streamlining, let's not discuss the actual morphology; gladius vs. 3 part shell, absence of hooks, presence of tentacles, papillae etc. Just curious)

I reviewed a paper on belemnite reconstruction several months ago, and gave it a thumbs-up evaluation. Depending on what some other reviewer said it should be out in 6 months. If so I'll post a link here. (It wouldn't be appropriate to discuss the content of the paper yet - it's not my work).

Here's a nice reconstruction of Hibolithes by Klug & co. from the abstract book for the Dijon meeting linked to by Kevin.

Attachments

• conv_296882.jpg
    conv_296882.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 150
A lot of Belemnite reconstructions in this diorama. These may be a bit short, have to wait for the paper from the symposium to come out. :aulacocer (just a coincidence that Dr. Klug's reflection is shown? :heee:) As ob says, the streamlined body is about all that is analogous.

Attachments

• conv_296903.jpg
    conv_296903.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 92
I am still thinkin' ceph fossils would make the most wonderful fireplace but liked this diorama a lot from your other pictures (almost feels like an aquarium).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back