Present day belemnite analog

Phil1078

Blue Ring
Registered
I was thinking that Uroteuthis chinensis seems to look like what I picture a belemnite to look like. Any thoughts from the more squid savvy?

Edit: analog* excuse the typo I'm writing this on my phone.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Urrr... what draws you to the conclusion? In as far as you'd consider a dolphin a modern day analogy to an Ichthyosaurus?

(Basic body shape is slightly analog, as it is for many of the Loliginidae, but that's just streamlining, let's not discuss the actual morphology; gladius vs. 3 part shell, absence of hooks, presence of tentacles, papillae etc. Just curious)

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I reviewed a paper on belemnite reconstruction several months ago, and gave it a thumbs-up evaluation. Depending on what some other reviewer said it should be out in 6 months. If so I'll post a link here. (It wouldn't be appropriate to discuss the content of the paper yet - it's not my work).

Level_Head

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
A Cause of War

*chuckle*

Don't publish those juicy details early; you'd hardly want to be guilty of jus ad bellum.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
A lot of Belemnite reconstructions in this diorama. These may be a bit short, have to wait for the paper from the symposium to come out. :aulacocer (just a coincidence that Dr. Klug's reflection is shown? :heee:) As ob says, the streamlined body is about all that is analogous.

Attachments

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
I am still thinkin' ceph fossils would make the most wonderful fireplace but liked this diorama a lot from your other pictures (almost feels like an aquarium).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonPratt

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak