• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Present and past cuttlefish owners, I need your help!

Hi all!

Well, I'm back! I'm happy to report that the presentation before the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society went very well. About thirty people attended and they were a receptive audience. I showed many photos of our cephs to illustrate my introduction to octos and cuttlefish, which included species, behavior and care. There were many questions afterward and still more people came up to talk with me informally. Several members even took notes and the secretary will post a summary of the talk on their website.

Carol (corw314) and her daughter Jess were there, and I was very glad - Carol brought along a scrapbook of octo photos and a couple of videos (including the one where Inklet bites Jess!) , which attracted still more interest.

After my talk there was a "frag swap", where members could buy small corals propagated by the members.

Nancy

AMichels said:
I was endlessly amazed/entertained when I watched my cuttlefish swim; it looked so effortless, not like how a fish swims--more like how a balloon floats.

When my cuttlefish moved from a shadowed area into the light, its color shifted to match its background like it was bending light. They're fiesty, too. If I stared at mine too long or too close it would turn red and fake a bull-rush. It would ruffle its arms, blowing them with its siphon like it was a moustache.

When they eat it reminds me of a chameleon shooting out its tongue.

Its eyes make it look so human, and you know in your head that it's looking at you, seeing you as well as you're seeing them.

But the most amazing thing is that it's alive and in your tank, and they're so sensitive . . . it makes you even more careful about maintaining your tank specs.

I keep discus, red-eyed tree frogs, freshwater plants, SPS corals, etc. There's nothing more fascinating than a cuttlefish.

Adam

This sums it up for me exactly. Fascinating creatures. I have a thriving SPS reef, have had caimans, snapping turtles, piranha, cichlids, iguanas and the cuttle is by far the most interesting.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back