Prep'd Cuttlefish Foods - What works for you?

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by snowmaker, Jul 6, 2010.

1. snowmaker

snowmaker Vampyroteuthis Registered

What frozen / dead foods are people feeding or tried to feed their cuttlefishes.

1 Sally's Krill - frozen 1" krill - They eat it, but it really does not seem to satisfy them.

2 Grocery store thawed fresh shrimp, cut - Took it but spit out within 1 minute every time.

2. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

Raised bimacs and officinalis on thawed fresh shrimp. Used a skewer at the beginning to make them chase it and later they would catch the item when it was dropped in the tank. I let the shrimp return to room temp before feeding them, thinking frost might have an aversive effect on the animal.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about cuttles, but octopuses seem to be able to tell how fresh the thawed frozen shimp is. I found that stores hold the shrimp on ice for several days after thawing. After finding that out, I went to the best seafood store and got shimp just as it was thawing, or kept it frozen and thawed it myself. It seemed to make a difference in how it was accepted.

Nancy

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Ours are prefrozen and thawed anywhere up here but the octos seem to take them if we keep them less than about two weeks. After that I think they get dried out (possibly from the defrost cycle even though they are sealed in a freezer bag). When we can find frozen that doesn't look like it has been that way a long time, they do seem to hold up better but we still don't buy any quantity.