Prehistoric Cephalopod Poll.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
So many to choose from......which do you think are the most interesting?

(Of course the results of this poll have absolutely no bearing on future articles I might write....honest).

:meso: :vampyro: :ammonite: :nautiloi: :belemnit: :cuttle: :bluering: :nautilus:

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
:ammonite:! But the rest are not far behind...

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Hi Phil

Before reading your articles and threads on fossils, I would have said "Aren't living cephs interesting enough?" Now I can't decide. I'll reread your article, and if I understand more, I'll try to answer the poll.

Melissa

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Hmmm........following the TONMO barometer.

Cretaceous squids are winning. Perhaps something on Tusoteuthis and Niobrarateuthis perhaps? You know this is probably the most difficult of the lot.....there is so little out there.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I voted for giant squids, but wheres the anicent :vampyro: ? I thought they might also be interesting.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Ooops, that was a bit of an oversight on my part and I should have included them, chrono. I think at the time, it was over a year ago, I didn't think I could scrape up enough info to write an article on them as at the time I though there were only two forms known. Since then, I found details of a third and a few months ago knocked up the article you can see in the 'Fossils' section if you would like to take a look.

Silly me, yes it should have been there!

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Phil said:
Ooops, that was a bit of an oversight on my part and I should have included them, chrono. I think at the time, it was over a year ago, I didn't think I could scrape up enough info to write an article on them as at the time I though there were only two forms known. Since then, I found details of a third and a few months ago knocked up the article you can see in the 'Fossils' section if you would like to take a look.

Silly me, yes it should have been there!
o....Phil made a mistake, Phil made mistake...(contiunes chanting like a idiot)

LOL, shouldn't have done that. :mrgreen: As to the fossil parts, I'm going to take a look now.

Emperor

GPO
Registered
Ammonites - I lived near Whitby when I was a kid and they were some of the first fossils we studied indepth in invertebrate palaeontology so I have a soft spot for them.

I've just moved a paper and spotted that I have one on my desk as a paperweight (although as the paper was on top we must have words ;) ).

Emps

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Wow, Emperor. I didn't know you have studied invertebrate palaeontology! :notworth:

Do you have a photo of your ammonite to post here? I would expect it is probably a Dactylioceras or Hildoceras, but I'm sure Andy would be able to tell you exactly. Have you seen the ammonites he found in his article posted here a couple of weeks ago? They are from very close by to the area.

spartacus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
I voted belemnites as I'm still pushing my "belemnite gravel" at give away prices !
what's more, they are in fact caused by lightning hitting the deck, it was on't telly

Keef

neuropteris

GPO
Registered
Ammonites - so many shapes, so many sizes, big ones, little ones - some as big as your 'ed! More species than you can shake a stick at and so easy to find (if your lucky enough to live near the little blighters burial grounds)

Andy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mercuryorbit

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak