• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Powerheads with Octopuses?

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
I was considering adding a powerhead pump to my 125 gallon tank. The filtration is a centered in a sump under the tank, so the water flow is pretty much one-directional (from the output to the input, that is). This generates plenty of water flow, but I wanted a powerhead facing the opposite direction, against the output. Are these pumps safe with octopuses?

depends which type and who you ask. I personally never use and never plan on using powerheads in any tank, just closed loops. As long as you put some sort of mesh or something over the intake it should be fine, however koralia's are tricky. Some say the intake is so spread out that it really couldn't suck anything in, while I would be more afraid of an octo "getting curious" and "exploring" the powerhead. If you go with something that has a "tube" for an opening, like a maxi jet or similar, and then put foam or something over the intake, you'll be fine.

May I ask why you want more flow like that? I ask because I don't think you will actually be getting more flow, you'll just get more turbulence in the middle of the tank with dead spots on the end.

One directional flow is fine, and the new common wisdom (that I fully agree with) is that randomized flow is not really good for corals and results in dead spots. Better is to get the mass of water moving together as much as possible is a semi gyre - at least for corals. If you only have an octo, your current set up will be fine.

If you really want bi directional flow something like the new version of the SCWD can be used to alternate current from two different sides of the tank. Or something like a sea swirl is nice too.

I recently arranged my live rock (there is no octopus at the moment) to make a nice-looking, very stable archway. I didnt want the substantial area of sand under the arch to be a dead spot, so I considered adding the powerhead. Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Anyone using a powerhead should bear this in mind: it must be well protected from your octopus, such as putting a mesh bag around the intake.

We've had Tonmo octopuses take the powerhead apart, removing the suction cups and piling them in the middle of the tank. One Tonmo octo grabbed the powerhead and went marching around the tank, blowing sand and shells everywhere! And then there have been some that unfortunately lose the tip of an arm to the powerhead.

So plan ahead if you're going to use a powerhead. Many of our octo keepers have used them successfully, but they may not be the necessity we once thought they were.

Nancy

They can suffer arm damage in many types of powerheads. Fortunately, not too many instances have been reported here.
One very small octopus was even killed by a powerhead.

Protecting your octopus from hazards is all part of the octoproofing of your tank.

Nancy

Thanks everyone. I will certainly use mesh over the intake, if I decide to use one at all. Considering Thales's water-current advice, I don't think I need extra flow.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back