• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Powerhead/oxygenation question for new setup

rcn

Blue Ring
Registered
I have a 55gal setup at work that I am considering for an octopus tank. Right now I am just trying to do some research and had a question about powerheads. Presently I have a Hydor Koralia Evolution powerhead at one end (I believe it's the 750gph model)...would this powerhead be OK or do I need a different one? Or do I need one at all? I just don't want it to get its tentacles caught up in the powerhead.

I have an overflow box which I will be covering the top and a 20gal sump with a wet/dry and skimmer. Would that be oxygenation enough without the powerhead or do I need both? Do people use any kind of airstone in their tanks? I would think the octopus would pull it up/around by the airline tubing.

Thanks!

People report no problems with the Koralias and octos, but keep an eye out.

Unless you have the powerhead at the surface or pointed at the surface, it won't add much in the way of gas exchange. The trip the water takes over the overflow and down to the sump and the skimmer will do a lot for gas exchange. So, you don't need the power head for oxygen, but you might want it for water flow in the display tank. Airstones are generally not recommended for full time use with cephs because some feel there is a danger of their mantles getting filled with bubbles.

Welcome to TONMO!

Thanks for the info....right now I have a canopy over the tank....should I use the glass tops that came with the tank as well as the canopy, and will that adversely affect the oxygen level in the tank to a dangerous point? I keep reading about inadequate oxygen problems with octos so it's got me a little worried. Would airstones in the sump help?

:welcome:

If you can find a way to secure the glass top then yes you should use it. If you cant secure it then I would have a lid made for it. If you dont believe its needed look at my avatar... Thats Isis, she escaped when I stepped away during a feeding and moved 5 feet from the tank. She liked to come up out of the water and say hi OFTEN so be careful.

Thanks, just wasn't sure how much impact a top would have on the oxygen level. If I put a couple of bricks on top of the glass tops would that work? I have not been around an octopus so I have no idea of their strength....

It may work, it may not. It honestly just depends on how determined your octopus is.

I and others keep an air stone in the sump so that the bubbles dont affect the octopus and yet helps with gas exchange.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back