Power Head killing fish

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by cankarako, Feb 11, 2013.

1. cankarako

cankarako Pygmy Octopus Registered

So I just bought a new powerhead Aqueon 950 http://www.aquabuys.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/aqueon-950.jpg

After a while the fish started missing and I saw some of them were sucked up in the pump and died is there anything I can do to prevent this or should I just replace the pump with another one?

2. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

you can cover it with a mesh bag like they sell for filter meida, either get one with a draw string and tie it off around the base or use a zip tie

3. cankarako

thanks

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I would avoid the draw string and recommend a zippered bag. The drawstrings are all but impossible to untie once tied (especially when wet) and you will want to be able to easily remove them for cleaning. I use the zippered variety (link for demonstration only, I don't know anything about this vendor but do buy them from eBay) on my Koralias to keep curious arms out of the unit but keep in mind that it will still have close to the same "sucking" power.

Also be aware that if the fish die first or are dieing, they will be sucked to the powerhead through no fault of the hardware.

5. cankarako

thank you very much DWhatley that looks like a fine zippered bag

6. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

if this is the 75g tank you bought last month then it is probably still cycling and the fish may be dieing from another cause than the power head, you should check your water peramiters.

CaptFish likes this.