Potentially Unbelievable Discovery: Did a sea monster make an artwork… out of bones?

Nice article Kevin...so there's no evidence at all of a colossal squid being present? Hypothesis reached only on the basis of the (odd?) layout of the fossils, maybe I missed something? (wouldn't be the first time).

Normally I would take Clem's point of view but I could never explain this as anything but she wanted an esthetic outside her new brood den (it was completely across the tank - at least 3 feet - close to where she initially thought about brooding). Moving across the stubstrate is one thing but watch how she sets it up at the end.

Terri;182564 said:
...so there's no evidence at all of a colossal squid being present? Hypothesis reached only on the basis of the (odd?) layout of the fossils,.

There is a lot of evidence... How that evidence is interpreted as a Kraken midden and not just normal decay of a few large Icthyosaurs on the ocean floor remains to be seen. I would like to hope it's not just because of the bi-serial alignment of the vertebrae (see Robyns post). It's hard to get the full story from an abstract, I really hope they write a paper so we can see their interpretation and data (or someone who saw the presentation reports).

I saw the face of George Washington in a cloud the other day... I don't think it was really George. :sly:

Normally I would take Clem's point of view but I could never explain this as anything but she wanted an esthetic outside her new brood den (it was completely across the tank - at least 3 feet - close to where she initially thought about brooding). Moving across the stubstrate is one thing but watch how she sets it up at the end.​

As usual, D, that's an awesome video! Looks like she's doing a bit of gardening.
I'm not saying that I think it's impossible that an enormous Kraken arranged the bones, just wondering if there is proof. I read the abstract and several of the articles...I suppose in the scientific world hypothesis and theory must be relied on to some extent. My interpretations of scientific papers is not always accurate, which is why I ask the question. It would be really interesting to read the rest of that paper. :smile:

Terri;182594 said:
It would be really interesting to read the rest of that paper. :smile:

I don't think there is a paper yet. Usually at GSA meetings you submit an abstract to show people what you're working on, either for a presentation or a poster. With a poster, you set it up and people come by and ask questions about what it's all about. With a presentation, you show slides and talk about what you're working on. At GSA you get 10 minutes for the presentation and 5 minutes for people to ask questions. The only thing published is the abstract.
Later, you may write a paper and submit it to one of the GSA journals or another journal it would fit in, and if all goes well your paper is published a while (a few years?) after the initial presentation. So unless they have already written and submitted a paper, it will be a while before we see anything more. :roll:

I am not saying I believe an octopus ancestor arranged the art work (because I don't) but Maya's actions were odd. I have seen many octopuses rearrange a tank to brood (Kooah and Cassy moved LARGE rocks) but never before or since see one arrange an item like at the tail end of the video. You can see that she positions the gorgonian and even my son was aware that she was "planting" it with intent.

Eek. I have to talk to a PR person at work tomorrow about this! I am sure they want me to say 'So cool, yes!', but I don't think I can.

The giant, prehistoric squid that ate common sense - Ars Technica

[SIZE=-2]National Geographic[/SIZE]

The giant, prehistoric squid that ate common sense
[SIZE=-1]Ars Technica[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A big one, in fact, and today that problem takes the form of a giant, prehistoric squid with tentacles so formidable that it has sucked the brains right out of staff writers' heads. While making the rounds among a few California museums late last month ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kraken Sea Monster Account "Bizarre and Miraculous"[SIZE=-1]National Geographic[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Kraken" sea monster emerges from mythological mists[SIZE=-1]CBS News[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]You're Kraken Me Up[SIZE=-1]Science 2.0[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Herald Sun -Popular Science -Los Angeles Times[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 120 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back