POTENTIAL NEW SQUID/OCTOPUS DOCUMENTARY

4 days to go

Thanks to everyone so far; these are truly valuable suggestions!

Steve,
Would it be viable to film enough of the squid thaw and fix to make one of these documentaries? You already know the interest is there and all of us would love to see the process.

Yes, we are doing this, but it's only a snippet in a doco, augmenting something we have done already.

You'd need someone like Kiefer Sutherland and a jolly good plot if you wanted to make an entire doco out of a thaw & fix. Not sure what you'd call it - 72?

Steve O'Shea;110853 said:
You'd need someone like Kiefer Sutherland and a jolly good plot if you wanted to make an entire doco out of a thaw & fix. Not sure what you'd call it - 72?

Does it include torturing post-docs until they reveal where they hide the formalin? Roughing up administrators who want you to do paperwork? The occasional explosion (sometimes even not microwave related)?

Octavarium;110804 said:
Just a simple idea, but focusing in the entire life of maybe one octo from hatching to death. I remember one show on whales I think that kind of documented its entire life and what it encountered at different stages. Something similar to that may be interesting, but too narrow perhaps? I agree with others on examining the divergence of cephalopods also, how they evolved, etc. Also focusing on their brain may be a good idea, any neurological data that they have found... and focusing on octo learning and skills

the following one octopus from Birth to Death was done some years ago by the Natural History Film Unit the doco was called "Octopus's Garden" see NHNZ Worldwide | TV Production It's even available in NTSC!

J

Steve,
It seems like you could do a whole documentary on the big thaw if you put together (and have access to) some of the unshown out takes from prior films and start the story from sailors tales and prevideo beachings continuining with hunting the thing just to prove its existence adding the first filming (if you can get some Japanese clips), then any other sitings where you have access to video or stills, continuing with any pictures (or story narative from the crew/observer) ending in the big thaw and fix. It woudl be a whale of a story '>)

Personally I would be most interested in seeing a documentary about ceph communication. Looking at certain species, such as cuttles and squid, they use their colors or tentacles to communicate with each other. I think it would be interesting to look at the extent of this communication. Personally, I've always wondered if this language they use can be considered "complex" and if they understand each other and can process the signals they are receiving.

Oh, and anything on Vampyrotheuthis is awesome... just to throw that in there :biggrin2:

This is the last day you have to communicate any ideas you may have for a new documentary.

Sorry about the short notice.

I'll re-iterate my favorite ceph topic:

Cephalopods are practically so distantly related to us that they are aliens who have developed many of the traits we associate with intelligence/behavior/consciousness while having very different anatomy, history, behavior, lifestyle, musculature, and so forth, so if we are interested in understanding how animal or animal-like life might evolve on another planet, comparing the broadest representatives of intelligent(-ish) life on our planet is more illustrative than comparing closely-related mammals or vertebrates. (Roy may argue that stomatopods are just as worthy of the "invertebrate intelligence" crown as cephs, and I know bees and jumping spiders have their fans, but the point still applies to cephs!)

Everyone (at least TONMO members) seems to have a favorite topic, I hope you can make everyone happy. :wink:

Maybe a compromise, if just an hour long documentary, would be just showing the great diversity of extinct and extant cephalopods. Or just extinct... or just extant... or...:sun:

robyn;110787 said:
It seems like there is a ton of footage of octopuses slithering over perspex maze walls and untwisting jar lids etc., but no real interpretation of why they are so 'intelligent' and why plastic behaviour might actually help them gain an advantage in the wild.

Here here! I have A. aculeatus footage, and no shortage of stories to tell about their behavior in the wild.

mucktopus;111223 said:
Here here! I have A. aculeatus footage, and no shortage of stories to tell about their behavior in the wild.

Speaking of which, did your Berkeley web pages move somewhere else? I haven't been able to find them for a few months...

monty;111234 said:
Speaking of which, did your Berkeley web pages move somewhere else? I haven't been able to find them for a few months...

Sadly they took them down shortly after I finished grad school, and I haven't had time to post them elsewhere. One of those things I really want to do but haven't gotten around to.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back