Potential Evolutionary Path of Metasepia

Sepia officinalis when in a smaller stag of around 2-3cm mantle will also display this walking ability. I've been working with Metasepia for around 5 months and they vary in their strategies. Sometimes they will swim, sometimes they will use their mantle for walking along with arms and sometimes just their arms similar to bandensis. The locomotion with the mantle extensions are rather slow and from what i've seen is more when they are stalking something such as a shrimp.

perke;162261 said:
Sepia officinalis when in a smaller stag of around 2-3cm mantle will also display this walking ability. I've been working with Metasepia for around 5 months and they vary in their strategies. Sometimes they will swim, sometimes they will use their mantle for walking along with arms and sometimes just their arms similar to bandensis. The locomotion with the mantle extensions are rather slow and from what i've seen is more when they are stalking something such as a shrimp.

+1

On a related note, I don't think they are particularly bad swimmers as is sometimes thought.
Have you noticed anything regarding the floating issue with these guys?

No they swim just fine, they have a tendency to float at the surface when they want something such as food, but this is not uncommon in officinalis if you don't feed them enough. They actually spend a lot more time swimming than I originally thought they would. When there is activity around the tank and something interesting going on they will actively come off the sand to check it out. In fact they have some very interesting postures that they can do with one another where one is on the sand and the other hovering mid water column.

Great stuff.

I am noticing that they get 'floaty' sometimes and seem to get uninterested in eating. Very strange. The hovering towards each other sounds like breeding posturing.

Can you tell me about how you are keeping them? What size tanks, how many per tank and such?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back