POST YOUR COLOSSAL SQUID QUESTIONS HERE

The blog is reporting (and I added US times):

Sunday 3pm (Sat 8pm Pacific US, 11pm Eastern US): giant squid removal from freezer

Monday morning (Sun Afternoon US): small colossal squid removal from freezer; Monday afternoon at 3pm(Sun 8-11pm US): large colossal squid removal from freezer.

Tuesday morning (Mon Afternoon US): examination of giant squid specimen; afternoon: examination of small colossal specimen.

Wednesday 10 am - 2 pm (Mon 3pm-7pm Pacific, 6pm-10pm East): examination of large colossal specimen; 2 pm fixation of specimens in formalin

I also noticed that I was wrong, and the animal on camera now is Architeuthis, and also that the lectures will not be live, but will be podcast later...

Hey all you "there in person" folks, could you see the condition of the eyes when looking at the unwrapped squid-cube?

And when you open your Christmas presents, do you sometimes re-wrap them so you can experience it all over on New Years? :sly:

Is there supposed to be meaningful sound? I'm hearing background noise, like maybe the water circulating in the thawing tank, but no voices...

i was thinking of asking people what soundtrack they had chosen for this. I like the idea of happy sax playing during the walk-in reorganizing. But as I don't have that i'm listening to middle-eastern dance ambient.

since Steve appears to be otherwise occupied, I'll fill in and say that he'd likely recommend Neil Diamond.

this is not to be taken as a personal endorsement from me, however.

I'm listening to Joe Jackson, myself.

In case anyone else is using linux and wants to view all 4 cameras at once (if they fit on your screen) the command I'm using so totem doesn't replace the old cam with the new one is:

totem-xine --no-existing-session http://www.r2.co.nz/20080427/camera-4.asx &

(change "4" to the other numbers for the other 3, of course.)

on the off chance it helps anyone (since all linux distros are different), this is amd64 debian sid using the totem-xine package GNOME totem 2.22.2.

corrected: I found that totem-xine is far, far better than totem-gstreamer.

This is fun.

I am in text message contact with one of the white coats, who says he just ate a piece of a Colossal.

No, really.

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back