POST YOUR COLOSSAL SQUID QUESTIONS HERE

Yes the crew pursuaded me that it was a whale which helped my peace of mind at the time - I am now convinced that it was not a whale. Maybe some known species of squid get plentifull food and this turbo-charges their growth and changes them rapidly to the 'super-sized' squid which may also develope different chacteristics to the smaller squid on the way. Maybe this type of squid protects it young? This creature made a decision not to attack and thus possibly displayed reasoned thought. Are squid intelligent? I understand your difficulty but I also find it difficult to understand how I could have seen such a thing.

For reference, Tim's original description is here: Sighting of Possible Large Cephalopod Near Portugal with further details in following posts.

In addition to the sensible biological objections Steve raises above, it seems to me that the observations are not consistent with any other observation of large cephalopods. The description of the size, behavior, pattern of luminescence, and geographic location are quite different from any sighting of any large cephalopod ever reported. I understand that you very much want to convince people that what you saw was a tremendous squid, but if that were the case, you would likely find things became more consistent with your memories as you discuss this in a forum with experts, while, in fact, you are finding yourself arguing hypothetical ways that this hypothetical giant squid might be different than every other cephalopod ever studied. If it's a squid that's completely unlike every other squid in every way except gross shape and living in the water, why assume it's a squid at all?

As the only eyewitness, if you insist it was a squid for your own personal belief reasons, in the absence of any other evidence, no one can prove anything one way or another, but what you have described is not consistent with any cephalopod supported by any other evidence than your account, so if you're hoping that repeating the story is going to eventually lead to someone giving you an answer you like better, they'd be bucking the trend.

You requested that you not be considered a crackpot, but frankly, coming up with rationalizations to support the conclusion you want to believe in the face of all evidence to the contrary is typical crackpot behavior. Steve is a world-class expert in giant squids (and a number of other cephalopod taxa, and toothed whales, and the ecology of other marine organisms)... I wouldn't say that his opinions are beyond questioning, but suggesting "maybe everything Steve said is completely wrong" should not be done lightly. If your theory about what you saw requires that, I think you need to give some very serious thought to re-evaluating it.

In any case, it was certainly not Mesonychoteuthis hamiltonii based on size, location, and description, so we should probably steer this thread back to discussion of the upcoming thaw of the large specimen of that species... (admittedly, I strayed pretty far off-topic in debating extrapolation of squid size based on beak size, too :oops:)

I'm going to copy the posts from the "squid sucker marks on whales" and this thread related to Tim's eyewitness account into a new thread for discussion there.

The new thread can be found here: Sighting of Possible Large Cephalopod Near Portugal

I moved the content originally in the "sucker marks on whales" there and copied the relevant posts from here, so that continuity would be maintained here, but please put any further discussion of the topic in the new thread, and ask questions pertaining to the examination of the Te Papa specimen and more generally about Mesonychoteuthis biology here.

Reiterating: please use this thread to discuss questions related to Mesonychoteuthis hamiltonii, the colossal squid.

Anyone wishing to continue discussion of squid sitings near Portugal, or qualifications of the observer, please go to the brand new thread for that separate topic:

Sighting of Possible Large Cephalopod Near Portugal

thank you.

This thread was created because there are going to be a number of press releases on colossal squids in particular over the next week, so we are expecting that we will be flooded with questions about them, so we decided to provide a forum to deal with that.

thaw/dissection webcast

There are now 4 live cameras webcasting from Te Papa:

http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/TePapa/En...as/NaturalEnvironment/Molluscs/ColossalSquid/

The above has links to 4 cameras and instructions for windows, mac, and linux. I had to install some extra codecs for AMD64 debian linux, but now it works... I'm not sure if there's supposed to be sound or not.

I'm also not sure if watching a squid thaw will be more exciting than watching paint dry, but I expect the crane moving the squid into the bathtub will be fun, and I like the implications of the bolt cutters laid out next to the dissecting table...

Should someone tell Steve that one cure for head lice is to shave your head?

I hope they will turn the sound on as second guessing what is going on and what is where is frustrating. I am assuming that the black box that Steve keeps examining is a chiller? Is the "package" at the left end the squid?

If I am correct and Steve's attention to the black box on the right is a chiller and the blue bundle is the squid, it now it looks like they are pushing the squid back into the freezer and bringing ice for the saltwater bath. My guess would be that the water is not cooling well.

Sure hope we get sound

I saw someone waving a plastic squid at the camera, but the image quality is so bad for me that I can't really tell who's who....

After I get back from dinner, I'm going to see if windows or macs look better than linux...

Monty,
Must be your monitor, I am actually pretty impressed with the cam quality and smoothness of motion. Are you watching the wide angle view, it seems to give an idea of what is going on. You should be able to recognize Steve by the glasses, mutton chops and the only one who makes it look like the room is 80 deg F and keeps contemplating the chiller. It seems like they should put another piece of plastic OVER the vat to help keep the cold air IN.

Did you catch Steve sampling the water for the camera - three takes = 3 mouthfuls ;>) but I think one retake was because he could not keep a straight face.

If you go to the disection table now there is a good bird's eye view.

Hummm, I wonder if they are doing some kind of intro for the special since the wide angle camera is now close up focused and you can't see any human activity.

me too, the quality is great, on a lower note.... im starting to get pretty bored... I want squid I want squid I want squid I want squid I want....:bonk::bonk::bonk:

edit: ah.... right on que, so whats the big white blob, and if thats the squid what was the blue block?

It's probably that I'm using the wrong CODEC-- I had to install "gstreamer-plugins-bad" to get totem to work on AMD64 linux, so I think the "bad" may refer to the video quality. I'll try the version in my i386 emulation section that can use the windows CODECs and see if that looks better... it was really blocky any time anyone was moving around.

I noticed that the activity was explained on the blog: they realized that the block was more squid than ice, so if they put it in the bathtub now, it would defrost faster than expected, so they're holding off. I guess the "two giant squids" mentioned earlier are 2 juvenile Mesonychoteuthis rather than Architeuthis if I'm reading it correctly... I can't really ID the mantle that's on the table now, but the fins and mantle width make me think it's a small colossal...

:welcome: to TONMO, ecbaxter.

ecbaxter;116203 said:
re:BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Colossal squid comes out of ice

I think you should thaw your Mesonychoteuthis beastie in a preservative bath.

And using a microwave strikes me as a very bad idea.

The microwave idea was dropped some time ago, I believe the current plan is to thaw it in low temperature brine, so that it stays cold enough to not rot but is unfrozen all the way through, then (in some order) it will be examined, fixed with formalin, and preserved in an alcohol solution.

Steve's preliminary draft of the process can be seen here:

Colossal Squid fixing notes

although they may have modified this somewhat, since it was written some time ago. You might also want to refer to the even older notes Steve made about preserving Architeuthis and other large (but not as large as this specimen) squids:

Large Squid Fixing and Preservation Notes

Octobot is reporting that the thawing has been delayed until Wednesday. [URL2="[URL="http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9218/"][News]: 'Al the Octopus' returns to Joe Louis Arena as Wings prepare for ... - Detroit Free Press[/URL]"]Here's the link[/URL2] from the Ceph News Feeds forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back