• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Possibly cuttle eggs

i would say about 9 fertile and 3 unfertile

Is it very hard to take care of the eggs+babies cuz i talked to the pet store owner and he said most likely most of them wont survive but then again they didnt even no the breed of cuttle they were selling me

As Kinetic pointed out there's a wonderful article that's been written that describes in great detail what is required to care for the little guys.

Dan

ok, the pet store owner was wrong, bandensis cuttle babies are fairly easy to take care of, first put the swollen eggs into the net breeder, second, go to the linked aquaculture store on the previous page and order 100 mysid shrimp(your cuttles will be very hungry), once they start hatching begin feeding the mysid shrimp. if you notice canabilism get more net breeders and seperate them. you wiil need to keep your good water quaility and such, the babies like to hide in macro algea such as red glucerna or culurpa, so have that ready. this is realy not that hard of a thing to do, so dont get too frustrated.

if you have any more questions please ask!!! hopefully righty or paradox will be here soon, as i only have had to raise babies once.

I need cuttle pretty much covered all the basics...

Feeding them brine is pretty much feeding them nothing. They have no nutritional value. Its a bad idea to use brine. If your near a shore, you may be able to find some pods. Look for non sandy areas where the substrate is mostly rocks or crushed shells...etc. When the tide lowers, lift some rocks and you may find pods.

If your not near water, the mysids are your next best bet. Check some other posts here about raising babies..Theres a couple people going through the same process as you will be going through and many suggestions are offered there. In my opinion, the most challenging thing about keeping and raising cuttlefish from eggs is keeping them fed!

Good luck!

cuttlegirl said:
If you keep them in the tank, they will be hard to find, if you keep them in a breeder (separate from the babies) they will cannibalize each other. Either way, expect to order mysids every 5-7 days...

Next time around I'm going to be prepared to order two batches every week. For those weeks until they will take shore shrimp.

This may have been enough for two of my cuttles that died. Maybe, maybe not.

Dan

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, as some people have asked, I am paying attention, I just want to see what you come up with without me sticking my big nose in and telling you what 'I' know. :smile:

Each batch is 100. I estimate they survive around 5 days with cannibalism. Two a week is probably a little bit overkill but there's also a psychological factor: I tried to do it on a shoestring by ordering one a week, next time I want to make sure I'm committed to spending a lot of money on mysids :smile:

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back