Possibly cuttle eggs

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Sniperjoe, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Sniperjoe

Sniperjoe O. bimaculoides Registered

Just today i looked in my tank and noticed these 2 black things at the bottom of my tank

I think they may be cuttle eggs but im not sure and if they are i am clueless on how to care for the eggs

Any info would be greatly appreceated

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

What shape are they? How big are they? Did we determine if you have S. bandensis or S. officinalis? It is entirely possible if you have S. bandensis that she laid eggs. You can raise the young on mysids and P. vulgaris, but Righty and Paradox are the experts on this...

3. Sniperjoe

not to big but the thing is is that i got no clue how to take care of them ( i currently hve them inx the same tank as the cuttle)

the eggs are about 1/2 an ich long ,blak and one has like a bulb apperecne to it)

4. cuttlegirl

Sounds like a cuttle egg to me...which means that you probably have S. bandensis and she is at the end of her lifespan. If your eggs are fertile, you can order mysid shrimp from aquaculturestore.com and put them in net breeders in your tank. You can put the eggs in a net breeder too. Good luck.

5. Sniperjoe

how do i know if therir fertile

6. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

They will expand like a balloon filling up. I suggest not touching them at all until you see them expand.

7. Sniperjoe

one of them looks sort of expanded the other isnt

8. Sniperjoe

ther edefinatly cuttle eggs , while i was rearanging my rock work i vuncoverd about 5 other eggs attached to a rock i relly need info on the care of the eggs, most of them have swelled up but the ones that are on the floor are they now dead or did they just become detached from the rockwork??????

9. cuttlegirl

Ok,

If they are fertile, you have about 2-3 weeks before they hatch. If you haven't already, read Righty's article on S. bandensis http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/cuttlefish.php. This will help you prepare... It could be that the first ones she laid aren't fertile, or they did not inflate for some reason.

10. Sniperjoe

2 of them are detached from the rockwork but are swollen does this mean there dead
    also when i move these to a net breeder tommorow how delicate are they as far as can i pick them up at all or not???

11. cuttlegirl

If they are inflated but not attached to anything, that is ok. You do not have to move them right away, since you do not have anything else in your tank. The mom will not bother the eggs, you only have to put them in the breeder in order to find them once they hatch since they will be so small.

12. Sniperjoe

i got a plastic breeder today but one of the pieces were missing so ima go get a new one 2 morrow

When they do hatch how do i take care of them

13. kinetic

kinetic Blue Ring Registered

sniperjoe, take a look at the article that was posted about 4 posts back. it tells you exactly how to take care of them.

also checkout daisyhillcuttlefarm dot com

14. Sniperjoe

the mother just died this morrning

15. cuttlegirl

:sad: Sorry to hear that she died, also sorry that you only got to spend a couple of weeks with her...

How many eggs did she leave behind?

16. Sniperjoe

i would say about 9 fertile and 3 unfertile

Is it very hard to take care of the eggs+babies cuz i talked to the pet store owner and he said most likely most of them wont survive but then again they didnt even no the breed of cuttle they were selling me

17. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

As Kinetic pointed out there's a wonderful article that's been written that describes in great detail what is required to care for the little guys.

Dan

18. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

ok, the pet store owner was wrong, bandensis cuttle babies are fairly easy to take care of, first put the swollen eggs into the net breeder, second, go to the linked aquaculture store on the previous page and order 100 mysid shrimp(your cuttles will be very hungry), once they start hatching begin feeding the mysid shrimp. if you notice canabilism get more net breeders and seperate them. you wiil need to keep your good water quaility and such, the babies like to hide in macro algea such as red glucerna or culurpa, so have that ready. this is realy not that hard of a thing to do, so dont get too frustrated.

if you have any more questions please ask!!! hopefully righty or paradox will be here soon, as i only have had to raise babies once.

19. Sniperjoe

can the newborns eat brine shrimp

20. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I need cuttle pretty much covered all the basics...

Feeding them brine is pretty much feeding them nothing. They have no nutritional value. Its a bad idea to use brine. If your near a shore, you may be able to find some pods. Look for non sandy areas where the substrate is mostly rocks or crushed shells...etc. When the tide lowers, lift some rocks and you may find pods.

If your not near water, the mysids are your next best bet. Check some other posts here about raising babies..Theres a couple people going through the same process as you will be going through and many suggestions are offered there. In my opinion, the most challenging thing about keeping and raising cuttlefish from eggs is keeping them fed!

Good luck!