Possible Mesonychoteuthis sucker marks on an antarctic sleeper shark

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for photos of antarctic sleeper sharks (Somniosus antarcticus) because I am preparing a talk about Architeuthis I´ll do at the end of the month. There are only quite few photos online of this species, especially of large specimens. As you know, beaks of Architeuthis and Mesonychoteuthis were found in the stomaches of this sharks, but it was not sure if they actively hunted them or just scavenged dead or dying specimens. I found at fishbase a quite interesting photo of an antarctic sleeper shark of 180 cm caught off the Falkland Islands as by-catch of Pataginian toothfish, which has some clear and comparably big sucker marks and a lot of scratches. Could it be possible that this are sucker marks of Mesonychoteuthis? I think this is really rather interesting, because it shows there actually is interaction between antarctic sleeper sharks and big squids.

You can see the photos here in high resolution:

http://www.fishbase.org/images/HiRes_Pics/hr_Soant_u1.jpg
http://www.fishbase.org/images/HiRes_Pics/hr_Soant_u2.jpg
And the original page at fishbase with additional information:
http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pict...e=2&StartRow=2&ID=65976&what=species&TotRec=4

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a detail shot of the photo on which I made a circle around a particularly big sucker mark. The pattern of the sucker marks on the left could also fit with the sucker pattern of Mesonychoteuthis, as would the location and the association with Patagonian toothfish.

Attachments

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Cool find! Sure looks like some of the toothfish sucker scars that were recently circulating.

Will share on FB/Twitter.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
This is the Pacific sleeper shark from Alaska from the last link I posted. Of course this sucker marks does not come from Mesonychoteuthis, but could they possibly come from Architeuthis? Of course this sharks could also feed on giant pacific octopi, but I doubt that their soft suckers could cause such sucker marks on a shark´s skin.

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Darn, I remember reading an article recently (will look more in a sec) but can't find it. The general gist of what I remember was that it was thought each prey upon the other depending upon relative sizes but it was unclear if the larger sharks scavenged.

Here are a collection of articles, sightings, etc on Archi that may have added input for your talk.

Here are two summaries of the same study about toothfish predation (hopefully one will lead you to the actual study if of interest) but not sharks. It may be the articles I was remembering.

Found the article I was thinking about here, New Giant Squid Predator Found (BBC) 2004 (added to the collection mentioned above). Talks about sleeper sharks

This article in NatGeo might also be of interest.

Last edited:

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I´ve seen the toothfish articles too, as well as the interaction between mako sharks and Dosidicus gigas.