Possible Cephalopods from Devonian Michigan

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
hi, im new here, so please let me know if im crossing any line or if the pic i post are unclear.

anyway, this summer i was collecting from Devonian/Silurian deposits in the northern half of the lower peninsula of Michigan, USA, and i found these red calcitic thingys that dont match any of the fauna on my checklists of the area. personally i think they look like belemnites, but that might just be me. what do you guys think?

find 1

find 2

Attachments

• conv_305348.jpg
    conv_305348.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 153
  • conv_305349.jpg
    conv_305349.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 186
  • conv_305350.jpg
    conv_305350.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_305351.jpg
    conv_305351.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 148
:welcome: Proteus! Thanks for posting, your pics. are a little unclear BUT, for me posting unclear pics. have taught me how to take better photos. Fossils are notoriously difficult to photograph (at least in my experiance).
Anyway I think the fossils in pic. number 2 are all brachiopods, not sure about what you have circled there. And in the 3rd photo the form to the left of what you've circled looks interesting. Kevin will be along at some point and take a look...:smile:

the pics are that bad, huh? :sad:

the circled items are the ones im talking about. the circled item in find one should look look like a little red rocket ship. the subject of find two should be a red crescent. the thing you like is either a conulariid or a rugose coral.

The Conularid looks more cephalopodish than the little red rocket ship. It may be a cross section of another brachiopod inside the bigger one. The crescent looks like a belemnite but since they didn't evolve until the carboniferous I don't think that's what it is. If it is any part of a cephalopod shell it would be endocones from the siphuncle. It may be a cross section of a horn coral. Both of those would be hard to ID as a cephalopod. :-/

in anyone is wondering where i got this idea, its from looking at "Coleoids from Lower Devonian Black Slate ("Hunsruck-Sheifer") of the Hunsruck (West Germany). take a look at this image to see what i mean:

Attachments

• conv_300599.jpg
    conv_300599.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 168

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back