• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Possible Ammonite

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
I see now :old:

It does look like an ammonoid. split right down the middle. The septa are showing and part of the shell wall, and the umbilicus would be where you show it, but it is not there. It would be very difficult to assign it to a species as the sutures are still buried and any ornamentation on the shell is not visible. The septa near the suture are more in the shape of the suture, but as you move toward the center of the shell the septa become more simple, almost to the point of looking nautiloid like. I think this is how your specimen is, you can see some of the curvature of the septa but not the sutures.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
The dark lines in 1a and 1b are too thick, and along with 2, they don't have any sign of the shell wall. If I could see that they were not just squiggly line floating in space... then maybe. :oops: The piece between your fingers in 3 at least has equally spaced squiggly lines.

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
im starting to cool off on the ammonoid diagnosis for the squiggly lines. i was doing some reading on crustaceans from ohio and found that the tail of the decapod Palaeopalaemon looks rather similar to the pics in #5.

Palaeopalaemon is in orange, the tail in red

Attachments

Members online