Portobello Diary

R.I.P Earle

It's a sad aquarium down south. We lost Earle on Friday. He developed the autophagy disease and was eating his own arms. The worst part of the whole thing is that we had to euthanise him :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

We are now in the process of sterilising the tank etc, before we introduce a new octopus.

:angelpus:

J :cry:

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Jean. :frown: That must have been very difficult for all of you at the aquarium.

He was a magnificent octopus. How quickly things change.

RIP Earle :angelpus:

Indeed, RIP. Been there recently myself. Not good.

..... I don't suppose you have any octopus eggs down there do you Jean? I've a new chappy starting up here (Felipe) on his Masters, and he'll be rearing P. cordiformis, O. gibbsi and O. huttoni, egg to adult hopefully. It would be nice to compare development of P. cordiformis [or O. huttoni] from both ends of NZ (I can get them up this way, through scallop boats or SCUBA). Another onliner (Jason ... I'll not let on his alias) is rearing Sepioteuthis, but I'd like him to have a look-see at Sepioloidea also (your large new species, and S. 'pacifica'). If you do hear of any eggs of these things being collected I can quick-pronto organise them being sent up ... or someone coming down. I could throw a few $$ at a diver to collect some.

Hope all else is most positively marvelously fantastically wonderfully good.
Me

Jean, what a horrible day you must have had. Sorry to hear about Earle. Sterilizing the tank sounds like a big job.

Steve's news about new research is encouraging, by onliners no less - makes me wonder whether we'll see some of it here on TONMO.

Melissa

The midget octopus never gets much bigger than a manderin! Hence the midget title (bites though!). And yep Carol we just call him Midget .

Plasma measures about 1.5 metres across his arms and his mantle is about the size of a rugby ball!

We actually have another Plasma (smaller about 50cm arm spread)!!!!!!!! But he keeps escaping, he's taken up residence in a neighbouring tank behind all the rock work :x and short of dismantling the tank we can't get him out. we'll have to wait til he gets too big for his hole (and yes we've tried enticing him with a juicy crab.......no go!)

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back