Portobello Diary

Portobello Octopus Update!

Hi All.

We've released Hannibal his appetite had decreased to almost nothing and he was escaping more often...so time for him to go find a girl!

Gerbil has passed :angelpus: She was due for release but beat us to it :cry:

We are now without a large octi, but have 3 midgets, Gidget, Gadget and Grouchy (bit a staff member, inked and has gone to ground in some rocks!) (I DIDN"T name them!!!)

J

Sorry to hear about Gerbil. RIP Gerbil. Did you release her babies?

Are you going to get a new large octi soon?

And what funny names for the midgets! With names like that, they sound like dwarves (like in the 7 dwarves!).

Nancy

Yep we released her babies.

and as for the midgets; Gidget and Gadget were named by kids and Grouchy by his victim (we thought theoriginal suggestion of "you &*5$#^@ sod" wouldn't do for a public aquarium!)

J

We have a new Octopus called Bob (named by some kids!) Bob has really been in the wars. He's covered in scars and has lost quite a few suckers and the tips of all his arms except for the hectocotylus (he must look after that one!) I'll get some pics to post as soon as he settles in. He has been hiding for the last few days but he has a good appetite, having polished off around 30 large (about 15 - 20cm carapace width) cancer crabs in the last 2 days!

Gidget, Gadget and Grouchy continue to do well.

J

Bob has been released. He was starting to refuse food, so he was returned to the sea at the place where he was caught. We have pots out to catch a new one......watch this space!

Gidget and Gadget are well but Grouchy has been released...........due to increased grouchiness and taste for human fingers!

A couple of weeks ago we turned on the aquarium lights and found squads of baby midget octopus (see piccy) in our touch tanks.............staff spent most of the morning scooping them out for release. The eggs must've come in on some fresh rocks that had been placed in the tank!

J

Attachments

• conv_289240.jpg
    conv_289240.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 88
OShea Octopus at Portobello

We have a new octopus at Portobello, he's called OShea in honour of Steve's visit last school holidays!

Here he is!

Attachments

• conv_289710.jpg
    conv_289710.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_289711.jpg
    conv_289711.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 91
cthulhu77;80146 said:
Nice pics! Now, you just need to have ND music piped in...

ND music? No Doubt is my favorite band...jk, lol.

Anyways, that octopus is BEAUTIFUL. Is it Cyanea? And how large? I wish I worked at the aquarium...and wish mine wasn't so far away. At least I have connections now, lol. Its dissapointing that volunteer work at my aquarium doesn't involve the octopus cuz you have to be a certified biolgist to have that position, which sucks cuz when I went there, the biolgists taking me behind the scenes told me I knew more than them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back