Portobello Diary

joel_ang said:
Did you actually take Plasma out to weigh??

Wouldn't he be much lighter in the water?

He was weighed B4 he went in! weight of bucket of seawater, then add one octi, reweigh subtract 1st weight=octopus weight!

Even in the water he's much too heavy to lift for long!

J

Scouse said:
Hey nice one Jean,

Yep can say they are crackin mussels, had the finest NZ greenshell in Amsterdam once upon a time!! oh yeas, think ive decided on my tea (dinner) tonight!!

The octi's don't bother much with them....starfish on the other hand..... As for fouling if you left a dead mussel absolutely also mussels produce enormous quantities of pseudofaeces which can get pretty nasty. Our tanks are siphoned every other day, every day if they are getting dirty fast....so octopus tanks are cleaned very regularly

hmmm, so are we sayin that an octo tank has to be syphoned everyday?? i was aware i had to get the remainder of uneaten food out unless the scavengers pick it up, but is there more...??

hmm them muscles sound pretty nasty and could wreck my tank, forgive my ignorance but what do you do when syphoning are you just sucking up the bits of muscle poo on the bottom if you can get to them???

Cheers

I don't like seafood :yuck: so can't comment on the culinary delights of greenshell mussels!!!

As for siphoning.......probably not (although often is better than less often!) But we're a public aquarium so everything has to be just so! Mussels are nasty!! yes we siphon up the mussel poo! (and the octi poo....and the crab poo.....and the fish poo.......and to top it off ...at the weekends we get to clean the human bathrooms too!!!!!!) I'd be inclined not to keep too many mussels in a tank at home. They are too messy and require phytoplankton for food. One or two might be OK for a while.

J

Update on Plasma

An update, I never did get a pic of Plasma, but he has reached maturity and started exploring in the drains, so we have released him. This means that at the moment we are bereft of octis (Midget having been released earlier) :sad:

J

Portobello's current octopus

Hi at the moment we have squidgy Pinnoctopus cordiformis and Titch (a midget octopus) probably Octopus warringa . Titch is the photo of the eyes.....he wouldn't come out of his shell!!

J

Attachments

• conv_287966.jpg
    conv_287966.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_287967.jpg
    conv_287967.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 88
  • conv_287968.jpg
    conv_287968.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 82
New Arrivals At Portobello

These are two of our latest arrivals!

The midget is Smudge (Octopus warringa/huttoni ) complex and the other wee guy hasn't a name yet but is a Bottletail Squid or Sepiolid (Sepioloidea pacifica).

I've just heard we're getting squid (Sepioteuthis australis) eggs tomorrow!!! will take pics!

j

Attachments

• conv_288531.jpg
    conv_288531.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_288532.jpg
    conv_288532.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 87

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back