poor cuttlefish.

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by kurt72, Apr 9, 2008.

1. kurt72

kurt72 Larval Mass Registered

so i saw my first cuttlefish at a LFS. i do not know enough about cuttlefish or any ceph for that matter to identify it. but they wanted $150.00 for it. :shock::shock:it just looked sad back in the corner of it's little 5 gallon tank. :sad:

i did watch it change colors. lots of people walked by and had no idea what it was.

so if you are in the san diego area, Pet Kingdom has a cuttlefish.

2. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

Poor guy, hopefully they lower the price and someone competent comes along to get him.

3. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

cant say i'm nearby.........wish i was............

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

although it's pretty sad, it seems like it's an "overpaying for a mercy mission" to pay $150 for a stressed adult animal that won't live very long, when several folks here are selling hatchlings or juveniles for a lot less, is not the best way to get a cuttle.

It's always sort of a sad tradeoff to consider whether it's better to reward a store by paying their high price in order to rescue an older animal that's been mistreated, which basically saves this animal, but rewards the shop.

That being said, I don't know for sure that I'd be that pragmatic if I had a tank prepared and an extra $150, particularly if I had looked the sad cuttle in its cute w-shaped eyes. :sad:

5. Yurei

Yurei Cuttlefish Registered

Wow that is terrible. I think I'll avoid Pet Kingdom from now on (even though I've only been there like 3 times).

6. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

For what it's worth, even though I was fairly critical earlier, I think it's generally better to explain your concerns to the store than just boycott them... even if they notice that they have less customers (unlikely) if they don't know that people are upset with them about the cuttlefish, then not much is gained...

7. Yurei

Yurei Cuttlefish Registered

Good idea!