Poll: Do Photos Do the Giant Squid Justice?

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by Clem, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Well? Are you satisfied with the first ever photographs of Architeuthis alive in its domain, or bitterly diasppointed that it wasn't captured in the medium of your choice?

Please weigh in.

Clem

2. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

vids would be nice, but as they say beggers cant be choosers, and we have been beggin for a long time.

3. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

The photo's were rather disappointing IMO... Also a pity that it had to lose a tentacle.:roll:

4. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

What I wouldnt give for 550 jpg's of a live ammonoid, almost as good as soft tissue preservation. Looking at the photos as a flip show probably shows a little more animation than was actually present. All in all they do show a live animal with pics as good as those the Mars rovers are sending back, from a place almost as distant. :smile:

5. Jillykim

Jillykim Larval Mass Registered

Anyone emailed the good doctor to find out if he could render a film from the images? Hoe many frames pers second were the pics taken at?

6. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

1/30 fps, I think. Not very revealing, but it would still be cool to see.

7. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

... it was video, in a sense, but as the Right Honourably, Regal-Footed Sir Dr Ummmm..... points out, it's all about frames per second.

Remember, this was done on a shoe-string budget; things are SO about to change. This is when we sit down and chew our nails .... will it be that little yellow rectangle organisation, or will it be Discovery Channel? Nail chew, nail chew, nail chew .....

8. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

...as if there's any difference.

9. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

We'll not be waiting long .....

10. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Finally.... Discovery has dropped beaucoup bucks in reparations for the crap theyve been putting out in the last 10 (but mostly 5) years....

or did NG buy themselves an O'shea?

either way i say let the cash flow....

11. ArchieFan

ArchieFan Pygmy Octopus Registered

Anyone got more photos of that? All I've seen is low res turned into 2 inch video frames. I heard they photographed it for four hours one photo every 30 seconds. Even a slug would look fast if you tied that into a video stream and showed them even 1/4 second intervals. Let alone that thing was trying to free itself from the hooks of the jig. Are they holding back, or does someone have more pictures of it?

12. ArchieFan

Not to say I think Archie could be "slow as a snail" though. Its intuitive that it would be fast anyways. Most squid are. As uniformed as my opinion might be :)

13. ArchieFan

oops too quick on the clicker :0 didnt mean to post again.

14. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

(Press the delte button)

And from what I've gathered from Dr. SOS's holy bible of Archi, it's not a fast swimmer.

15. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Well, its a helluva lot faster than any of us....

16. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Urmm, regarding a fully fledged expedition: wouldn't there be room in the BBC 2 budget? I guess Attenborough's up for replacement anyway 8o)

I wouldn't mind seeing someone tow a lifesize model of an Architeuthis female, shedding all kinds of interesting pheromone packages/flashing all sorts of enticingly mimicked colour patterns to draw in the ready to be filmed suitors. The pheromones themselves (do they employ them at all?) would suffice, in the absolute pitch black at 1000 meters below, but as grandson Cousteau thought up the full size animatronic shark to study "realistic interactions", why not follow the photogenic path laid out? In general, people sitting on large amounts are more easily coerced into spending a lot, than supporting shoestring endeavours... Economies of scale, I guess.

17. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

I saw those photos, and celebrated.

I fired up a doobie the size of a submarine. :rainbow: I shouted from the rooftops that soon the dominion of vertebrates would end, and that all humanity would face judgement from the cephalopod overmasters. I then went to the seashore a few miles away and summoned Dagon. Then I went out for Chinese.

Okay, I just went out for Chinese. I don't smoke, let alone doobage, I hate climbing on rooftops, and the beach has been really cold lately. *sigh*

But in all honesty folks, those photos kicked ass, and we should be collectively happy for ALL teuthologists out there.

18. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Yep, but nobody is Hong Kong that I know is celebrating...kinda sucks to live in this hell holel. Nothing happens here, not even this: :sink:

I celebrated with my you, me and my imgainary anime pals with some :wine:. Can't scream from the roof tops either since it belongs to someone else. Sigh....

19. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Hi Eric

I will pass through Hong Kong in November and December. We should celebrate the giant squid photos. Is there a water park or aquarium to go to?

Melissa

20. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

What the...

Damn. Sixteen crying little girls, fifteen scoffing camera-phone users and only four voters with sense enough to realize that Kubodera & Mori own us all.

Fie.

Clem