poisonus octos

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by ant, Jan 1, 2004.

1. ant

ant Vampyroteuthis Registered

i was wondering if there was any species of octo that is NOT poisonous, or cannot bite through skin?

2. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi Ant, Welcome to TONMO.com :)

I see you have posted several times but I'll just start here :)

By skin, I take it you mean your skin? In theory all octopuses should be able to bite us. They have a tough sharp beak. However, I have never had my skin broken. Then again, I like to think i have been quite sensible most of the time :)

I have given octopuses and cuttlefish that I have kept as pets, every opportunity and some have tried to bite and felt like a scratch or nip.

If they do bite and break skin it will possibly be sore depending on species
    may be as bad as a wasp sting?

You need to use your own discretion and common sense if putting yourself in front of a live octopuses beak! Different people have different reactions.

All octopuses are venemous, they use that to kill their prey. They are not poisonous. A poisonous thing is something you can't eat and many people eat octopuses.

Colin

3. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Octos and cuttles can definitely break through the skin, since Zoidberg was able to scratch my nail with his skin.

I remember theres a post about one of our members being bitten by a certain octopus which led to temporary paralysis of his arm or finger.

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Nancy's husband also had a bite from Ollie a while back