• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Poe Poe"s babies O. hummelincki

I noticed these little things swimming around in Poe's tank. I looked closer and they are tiny octopuses.
I know it will not be possible to raise them but I wanted to share.

DSCN2074.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

corpusse,
We have not solved the riddle to getting any of the small egg species to survive. There have been a couple of small egg successes that I could find using flow through systems (in France if memory servers) and one instance of O.joubini in a TX study (but none lived to adults). Success with the large egg species is minimal but on TONMO Roy has reported good percentage survival with a large egg blue ring and Zyan Silver with a bimac. Members with smaller environments have journaled lower survival percentages but still success to adults with O.mercatoris (GHolland and me) and O.briareus (me).

Linda,
If you happen to find some when they die (not likely) and have some alcohol, could you preserve them and mail me a couple? I would like to see what they look like.

Just put them in rubbing alcohol. They will preserve relatively well this way. I have a container of O.briareus hatchlings preserved in a small jar (assuming it has not dried out) and I would like to put them side by side for a comparison. Since both are preserved, I should be able to work with lighting enough to get a decent photograph.

I am still seeing more, so I don't think they have all hatched yet. I put some tigger pods in the breeder net. They don't seem interested.

D, I'll look for a small plastic container that I can ship them in.

Lmecher;172693 said:
I am still seeing more, so I don't think they have all hatched yet. I put some tigger pods in the breeder net. They don't seem interested.

D, I'll look for a small plastic container that I can ship them in.

Why don't you try rotifers?

All babies are gone. The last ones were seen yesterday morning. They lived 3-4 days.
D, I was able to remove 2. They must decompose very fast, the 2 were the only dead ones I found. They are so tiny I bet you'll be shocked.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back