Poe Poe - O. hummelincki

Oh, I feel stupid :oops:
That is the release video, it was down loading so slow I forgot about it. I was rushed earlier. Mark helped, this was just after dumping the ink-water, early release was our only option. This also is not a bowl, plastic bag.
Here it is

I think it was el Diablo's release that I saw but now there are still shots when I hit next so I must have looked before everything was loaded. In any case what is you best guess on mantle size?

I had to laugh when I read that you failed to notice the eyespots (or look for them considering the crisis mode) but once she was released, it was kind of an, "oh, yeah, there they are" comment. She is smaller than I thought. Arm length is pretty useless with this species (mantle size too as far as age goes) as they rarely come in without regeneration in progress or obvious signs that the arms have been severed in the past.

Monty's arms are very hummelincki like in their odd taper and even as a tiny tike, he had already lost parts of them. Now, he is very interesting to watch as he will put them into every little hole in the LR searching for tidbits and I think this is typical of the arm shape (somewhere I have a post on either OhToo or Octane doing the same thing). I realy want to get a video of the unusual way he will pick up scraps with the tips and put them directly into his mouth though as I have never noticed others doing this.

That first gray color is unusual. I don't think I have seen it before. It is not the dieing octo gray (lack of color) but actually gray coloring and I suspect it is because of the gray rack below. Do you have purples in the tank (coraline algae)? They have a great deep purple color they can display. Be sure to keep a camera ready because they can display a wide range of colors. Unfortuantely, once they are fully acclimated and comfortable, you don't often see much more than a boring brown.

:welcome: to your new little octopus! He looks good! I have seen the same coloring in Kringle. I am still in crisis mode! Well trying to be more relaxed as he ate a snail. Do we have a name yet?

The gray color was displayed upon opening the bag and I have not seen it since. It has been out since I got up this morning. It was walking on the glass, it moved to the back wall and has settled in the top back corrner. I tried to feed a shrimp, it was pushed away. Still working on a name.

Here is the photo my son Justin took last night.
DSCN1790.jpg

I have figured out why it refused the shrimp. It keeps pulling snails off the walls/glass. I saw it drop something, it was an empty snail shell. It has dropped several with live snails, and a moment ago it just pulled a live one off the glass and brought it to it's mouth. I am waiting for it to drop this one to see if it has also been eaten.

Wow, someone missed their octopus! I love the pictures he/she's beautiful! I love to see them with their spikes all pointy.

skywindsurfer;169832 said:
Very beautiful animal. Does saltwaterfish.com have a pretty decent track record of supplying O. Hummelincki?

From everything I have read about them and from talking with the people that work there, yes. It is pretty common that they get O. hummelincki. I havent heard of anyone getting anything other than O. hummelincki to tell you the truth.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back