Plz ID before I release him!

ccopelin

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I would like an ID fast before I put him in his new home. A friend that owns a LFS got 2 the other day and they are both definetly different so if I dont like your answer i can go swap. :wink: Its goin in a 50 gallon in wall cube that just lost its owner, Rowdy our beloved cuttle RIP.

Attachments

• conv_304434.jpg
    conv_304434.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • conv_304435.jpg
    conv_304435.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • conv_304436.jpg
    conv_304436.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
DWhatley;173435 said:
I think I am just over sensative to mantle bulges ATM. :biggrin2:

Female with eggs?
No, it is much too small. I think it is a young O. vulgaris, about the size of Diablo when I got him. I can't call sex on one. Diablo didn't carry the 3rd arm curled all the time and he used it all the time unlike my others. May be a characteristic of O. vulgaris, however there have not been any to really compare to. Look for enlarged suckers, I believe 4.

Upvote 0
SabrinaR;173444 said:
Ditto! I wish I had a large enough tank :sad: but once I get my fish room I am SOO getting a 250 gallon tank set up so that I can order one from Tom.

I hate to rain on your parade, but my wife and I sat down and discussed our future plans to get a house built, and we are looking at next summer. If all pans out, I'll be getting my "fish room"(roughly 6,000 gallon aquarium) constructed with a side room with a built in entrance and two walls each with a viewing window. I think I'll have the 'pick of the litter' when it comes to species selection then.

Upvote 0
Lmecher;173436 said:
Does this look similar
DSCN0973.jpg

Not really. Those look more like a cryptic shading. If you look closely at the first picture he posted, you'll see solid dark and light bands that run horizontally across the arms almost like the virtical bands on a banded cat shark. I have yet to see them in my Vulgaris, and I don't recall seeing them in any other.

Upvote 0
skywindsurfer;173446 said:
I hate to rain on your parade, but my wife and I sat down and discussed our future plans to get a house built, and we are looking at next summer. If all pans out, I'll be getting my "fish room"(roughly 6,000 gallon aquarium) constructed with a side room with a built in entrance and two walls each with a viewing window. I think I'll have the 'pick of the litter' when it comes to species selection then.

GPO maybe? :wink:

Upvote 0
Roy,
I am still so easily confused with photos, especially dwarfs (I suspected a dwarf species with the arm shape but knew it was not a merc). Other than high availability, how would you go about determining this is O. bocki and not O. joubini?

Upvote 0
I'll have to agree with Roy. I just looked up pictures of O. Bocki and they have the exact arm bands that are in the first picture. Plus the eyes look a little large for vulgaris but match the photos of bocki very well.

Upvote 0
True, but then I would need a large chiller and the price per animal is very expensive. I plan on doing a tropical tank with a lot of biological filtration and a sun roof. You can get a better idea of what this tank will look like here.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back