Please identify

Iwerzon

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,
Here are some more photos of the sea cliffs of Donegal, north west Ireland. The later are what I think are fossilised coral reef. I hope you can help me

Attachments

• conv_302748.jpg
    conv_302748.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 72
  • conv_302749.jpg
    conv_302749.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 88
  • conv_302750.jpg
    conv_302750.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 81
:welcome: Iwerzon,

Those things look like Concretions. Alot of fossil cephalopods are found inside Concretions or nodules, I cant see any in those though. A lot of times crystals form inside the concretions as they are dewatered and crack, that looks like what has happened to those you found. Try finding small broken ones and see if there are any fossils inside.

Coral maybe?

I have found lots of coral in the vacinity also. The 3rd photo must be organic in origin judging by its symetrical shape.

Also, See below with what looks like some sort of brachiopod I think and some definite coral from the same place.

s

Attachments

• conv_289691.jpg
    conv_289691.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 73
  • conv_289692.jpg
    conv_289692.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 95
Yes, those are definately Corals, both colonial and solitary, a brachiopod in the center, and what looks like a section of a crinoid stem on the left of the bottom photo (have a closer look at that stem and see if maybe it is cephalopodish). The top photo looks like it has bryozoans on it, kinda hard to see.

The third photo below does have symetry to it, alot of concretions are symetrical too. It looks like a echinoid but I still think (without a good close examination) it is a concretion.

At first look, it looks like a good Paleozoic, possibly Carboniferous, fossil locality. Keep looking and keep posting and good luck. :biggrin2:

I really can't add anything to Kevin's post, but I'd just like to welcome you to TONMO. Always good to have a fossil collector here; the octopus owners outnumber us 20:1, but there's nothing wrong with being in the minority!

Have fun here Iwerzon and I look forward to reading more posts by you in the future.

:welcome: Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back