• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Please help to identify my Octopus?

I've had "Ocho" for about 3 weeks and still trying to figure out what species she is. I first thought Aculeatus because of the longer legs (20-25cm) compared to the mantle (5-6cm). Also, the stripe that I can occasionally see running from between her eyes down the center to the front of the mantle which I've seen in pictures of Aculeatus. But the thing is, Aculeatus is diurnal and Ocho is totally nocturnal. So I've been leaning toward Briareus because she's never out during the day. But I thought Briareus had more webbing at the base of the legs and Ocho has no webbing, just long legs. I was also thinking maybe O. Bocki because they are also extremely nocturnal and similar looking, but may be a little big to be a Bocki but not sure. Resting color is brown which is pretty common among a few species but also speckled with "Glow in the dark" green color. This is the best description I can give for now and sorry the picture isn't the greatest, but it was with my camera phone this morning about 4:45am. I wake up early for work and turned on the front room light and caught her munching on one of the little shore crabs I catch for her. Any help in identifying her would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Attachments

• conv_302687.jpg
    conv_302687.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 92
SORRY SORRY SORRY, meant to post this in the ceph care section. disregard this post as I have already reposted in the ceph care section and can't figure out how to delete this post.

Phuntoon;78031 said:
SORRY SORRY SORRY, meant to post this in the ceph care section. disregard this post as I have already reposted in the ceph care section and can't figure out how to delete this post.

We're not really all that picky, but if you want to delete the post, there should be an "edit" button visible on the bottom of your post. I don't think you can remove the whole thread, though, but Tony or the moderators of "tank talk" can.

There's actually an "ID requests" forum over in "Ceph Science" at
TONMO Cephalopod Community
as well, which is more likely to be seen by scientists, but less likely to be seen by pet owners... Sometimes people post ID requests in "journals and photos" as well, or where you put it in Octopus Care is fine, too. And :welcome: while I'm at it, if I didn't say that yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back