• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

please help me figure this one out. What is it?

Silmer seams to be much better now. The water is at 75F. Hes all active.

What do you mean by 3rd arms? He has shorter arms but it looks like they were broken off and regrew. 3 of them look like that. The suckers are all big up to a part that looks like it grew back. The leg is smaller at that point and the suckers are tiny from that point.

I attached a picture of it. Its kind of hard to see. The red light on my camera freaked her out so i have to wait to get more pics. I taped over the light. That might help. It gets all shy when the camera comes out.

One more thing. How much should she eat? I have been feeding her 2 or 3 good sized ghost shrimp a day. Is that too much? Not enough? There are some that got away in the tank but she cant get ahold of them. Also not getting the hang of the small hermit crabs. As soon as she touches them they pull inside and fall off the rock. Then she moves on.

Wow Check out these crazy Stripe displays!

Wow Check out these crazy Stripe displays! I have been thinking about changing the name to Stripe. This is the reason. I think it ifts him better. So Cool. Water tem is 74.7F

I whould say Slimers Happy now. Still if you know of any species that does this. Please let me know.

Hey Nancy

Here is a picture of His Legs. The best I could get. very active now. It looks like bot of the 3rd? legs have broken off at one time. But One of the 4th arms is the longest out of all of them.

dunno about that, but what a COOL octo! I'm green with envy. :mrgreen: By the way I still say the cube would make an excellent den.

Keep us posted on how he does

Gabe

Cool Thanks.
I was really thinking about the cube for the den. Thats a good idea. I have a water line inside the cube so I can keep from getting dead spots in the water. It would actually work out good. The back is black. That would become the top. and the sides are still clear so I could see in the darker area. If I do it I will post some pics for you. I have 50lbs of live rock coming this week so I'm going to wait untill I get that all taken care of before I do anything with the tank.

I need to find out about keeping it from getting out of the tank. I read a post about astroturf. Something like they dont like the feel or they cant get a grip. If any one can verify this please let me know. I'm building a new canopy next week. I was thinking about lining the lower sides of it with turf to keep it from pushing against the flipup sides. That may be enough to keep it from trying to escape.

just a quick reply to let you know the species... i'll add more later when im not skiving at work!

Its octopus aculeatus.. most probably from Bali in Indonesia, there is quite lot about that species on this site if you used the search feature you should find it. personally i have had that species a couple of times and i think the most recent other keep's octo was called 'shaggy'

C

Glad Slimers warm now - I hate being cold myself!

You need to get him some more substantial food - try pieces of thawed uncooked frozen shrimp, maybe a piece of fresh scallop, fiddler crabs if you can get them. You might try a small live mussel and see what he does. Not all octopuses know what to do with shellfish.

Go to your best quality fish market, take along a photo of Slimer, and tell them you need a few samples! You can buy some frozen shrimp and keep them frozen, just slice off a piece at a time and make sure its unthawed and warm (I used to put shrimp pieces on the back of my hand until they thawed - it's warm there). He does need some live food from time to time.

Slimer is quite a performer with his stripes. Putting him in the big aquarium is a good idea, but you might wait until you get his food straightened out.

Nancy

Just reading some of the earlier posts - hey, a lot of us use duct tape - it can't go below the water line, and you should check it every few weeks to make sure it's not coming loose because of the dampness. But it works quite well!

Nancy

I knew it! DUUUUUUUCTAAAAAAAAAAAAPE! :madsci: :madsci: :madsci: HAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHA haHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cough: :cough: AHEM, excuse me. By the way, how big does O. aculeatus get? (assuming thats what s/he-(did you ever find out which?)- is.) If it's wild caught it might be an adult.

Gabe

The size of O. aculeatus? Body about 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) and arms about 12 inches (30 cm). So you don't need a bigger tank!

It's day active and found on coral and rubble reef flats - it hunts during low tides and finds small crabs and fish. (Maybe that's why it didn't mind being partially out of the water.)

This species has arms that break off during the base when under attack.

Nancy

Thanks for the info on Species. I will search for info on them right now.

Hey I didn’t mean any thing bad about the ductape :shock: LoL.

I have just dealt with it under extreme lighting and heat conditions and it can get all nasty in a short period of time. I don’t know if it's bad or unhealthy for the critters but I know it smells like its not good when old tape is removed. Kind of smells toxic.

So I tend to stay away from and adhesive type materials that will be close to the water. Just my thing. Didnt mean any thing bad about the tape. Hope no one takes it wrong.

Thanks again. Just to let you know Slimer is way happy now. I think Thurs or Fri Slimer will get the full 75 gallon tank. I can already see he wants to move around more. cover more ground. I think he will be safer in the cube when I'm rearanging the new rocks. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the info. Im going to do some searching.

I also noticed Slimer has been displaying the white and black stripe quite a bit now. I have a selvester looking cat that sits in front of the tank alot. Shes dark gray with a white belly. I noticed Slimer do it last time when the cat walked into the room. Do you think its a treat display or a mimic of the cat? its weird. Slimer doesnt show any signs of the cats bothering him. Any ideas.

Hey I also want to shout out a thanks to everyone here at Tonmo for all the help with the posts. Tons of information. Just have to dig a little.

Thank You All

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back