Please help ASAP! I only have 2 days.

An aquarium store near by just got in 3 Octopi. I'm pretty sure one is either a bimac or a mercatoris. Not, but it has a yellowish brown ring around it's false eye spot. The other two I have no idea. They were all supposedly caught in the Caribbean but the store doesn't know their species. They are holding the smaller of the three for me for only two days so I can figure out it's species. Can anyone help me before it's too late and it gets sold? I'm attaching some photos I took with my camera phone. Sorry about the quality. The octo would rarely sit still. The only physical info I can give is that before they moved the rock so I could see it better was that it was a dark reddish brown. Once it got out it turned milky white with only the tip of it's mantle pinkish red and it showed two black dots on the very tip of it's mantle. It's eyes and mantle look kind of like the acuelatus in size comparison and ratio, except it has a really small mantle compared to the rest of it's body and the eyes protrude outward from the body like the acuelatus. So any info would help. Quickly please.

Attachments

• conv_303729.jpg
    conv_303729.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 153
  • conv_303730.jpg
    conv_303730.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_303731.jpg
    conv_303731.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 140
  • conv_303732.jpg
    conv_303732.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 110
This is the other unidentified octo they have. Any help with this one would be great too. Thanks. Again I'm sincerely sorry about the picture quality.

Attachments

• conv_294851.jpg
    conv_294851.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 162
  • conv_294852.jpg
    conv_294852.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_294853.jpg
    conv_294853.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 147
  • conv_294854.jpg
    conv_294854.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
I am comfortable with calling the first a briareus (arm length to mantle ratio, capture location and coloring in second photo) and the second hummelincki (capture location, cripsis, arm to mantle ratio, eyespot in second photo), neither will do well in a 30 gallon tank. The briareus would out grow the tank before you could cycle another.

Upvote 0
I agree with D, definitely a briareus for the first one and the second most likely hummelincki, but the only thing is that fletcher, no matter what color he is always has a purplish color to his suckers. This one doesn't seem to, also I don't see any ocelli, But this could be me over analyzing, D's probably right.

Upvote 0
Tommy, What you are looking for is on target with my observations. Enlarge the second top picture, the ocelli is there and in the proper color sequence for hummelincki. Enlarge the third (bottom left) and you can make out the rings on the suckers and a purple cast.

Upvote 0
I have been lookin for a hummelinli for a long time! What is the fish store called and do they have a website(asuming u don't want the hummelinki)? Or the phone number would work? About how big is the hummelinki also?

Upvote 0
Hummelincki size is a bit of a mystery. Their arms at rest are usually about 2.5 times their mantle length (much shorter than briareus) but the preserved sizes vary drastically. I have had one that brooded at the size of a dwarf but my two males were much larger. Maya is twice the size of Serendipity and I have yet to determine if she is about to brood with a mantle length of close to 2"

Upvote 0
bluespotocto;144615 said:
If that first one is a braiuse then why is it out with the lights on? I dont see any green in any of the first photos either.

:smile:Look a little more closely at the photo, the little briareus is in a critter keeper. If you enlarge the pictures, you will also see the little fluorescent dots that give the green sparkles under some lighting. If you look at the first photos of SueNami you will see that the green is not always displayed but you can find the dots in the skin. The all brown/pinkish mantle and head with white arms is also a typical briareus display.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back